1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

detailing. snow removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bribrius, Nov 8, 2008.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i want to start a new side business. Im thinking i can be a snow remover for window sills, the top of mailboxes, brushing snow off people cars etc.

I think there is a real market for detailed snow removal work and was wondering what everyone else thought. i thought i would start with maybe five dollars for cleaning off the top of a mailbox and work up from there.
    Do you think a million in liability should be enough insurance coverage or do i need more?
    Also. do they have commercial snow removal hand held brushes and is there a commerical snow bucket for me to carry to the mailboxes, and window sills for me to brush the snow into. should i write these for seasonal contracts or do i by the ........swipe.
    Thankyou all for your responses in advance i know im must be sorrounded by professionals and the answers will be very helpful.

If anyone on here still doesn't have a plow i can sell this business to you. Im up for offers as soon as i get the commercial snow brushes purchased and the buckets.

2. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

i guarantee if you marketed it correctly to the right customer base, it could be a success.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Maybe I'm the weird one, but why would I want the snow cleared off the top of my mailbox?

Not that I'm disputing that some people might want that....

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bri just in case your onto something I want to invest in your business.But I think you may need a step ladder though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Its funny, but we had a call last year which I went out to price. The ladies live lake front and ever time it snows she wants the deck cleared and all 21 arch ways brushed off. Then all the flag stone walks cleared. We send a guy out with a stihl power broom and he does it all. They also want their 10ft pad infront of the door shoveled and the banks done really nice. First time he was there for 3 hours. Theses two widowed sisters own this massive mansion. Trust me there is a market for it if you are serious.

Hey I just watched the girls next door and Hue Hefner just trucked in ice and had it shredded on his front lawn for his playboy bunnies to go toboganning on christmas. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Im sure that bill wasn't cheap.... wait maybe it was. With a show of hands who would have done that for free. lol

6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Bri if you already invested in the hair dryer thingy, why not just use it and keep your overhead down :D

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Bri...I figure you are so full of hot air you can just talk the snow off the mailboxes and sills.....lol
    J/K bri.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I bet a diesel powered hair dryer would really come in handy given its portability, reliability, and low fuel consumption.

It does really tick me off when I open the mail box and the snow gets in there or goes up my sleeve.

Also, would you consider uncovering the newspaper at the end of the drive as well cause sometimes I have a heck of a time finding it under all that snow!

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

lol, i clear my stuff off like the garbage can, the mailbox, the railings and sills. i could see a market but im sure you will get some looks.

10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

humor aside, he may be onto something. If the auto industry weren't in rough shape right now, I have always wondered if there could be a market for clearing off the cars. I usually see shop kids with back-pack blowers doing this... it could be done much more efficiently with the right equipment.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I know what you can do with the buckets of snow you collect.

Have you considered a business of providing snow? Guaranteeing a white Christmas? I'm sure you could franchise it, I'm betting a lot of snowbirds miss the winters first snowfall and a white Christmas. you could collect the snow, package it with some dry ice and ship it to Florida, Arizona, etc.

If you offer volume discounts you could sell it by the truck load to plowing contractors in areas that have low snow fall levels.

You could also branch out into the snowball business. Selling to displaced northerners who feel their kids are missing out having never been in a snowball fight. you could sell a package of six and as a marking gimmick offer a free 2 pack of frozen slush balls with every 2 dozen purchased.

12. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in I'll bring a Bobcat snowblower!!!:nod:

13. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Heck we found ours in the spring in the snowpile melt at the back of the yard once!:D

14. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

All you need is a shovel and a Stihl Snow blower. Lots of rich people out there. I wouldn't charge per box or whatever Charge like 35 an hour. 1 hour min. or more. but sometimes more $35 dollar places are better. In and out quick. Good job for a kid.