1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Detaching Western MVP V Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Deebo53, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Deebo53

Deebo53 Member

Just curious to know if its necessary or good for the truck to detach the plow when its not needed for use.....

I went to try to detach it yesterday but i put the shoe down now is the next thing i have to do is unplug the wiring and it should reverse right out??

Thanks!!

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

It doesn't hurt the truck to leave it on. It's more an issue of if it is a pain to drive with it on if you're not going to be plowing. The front end is definitely lighter with it off, of course.

I would generally take it off if they weren't predicting snow or wind (with snow already on the ground) for the next day or so.

Yes - after you put the two stands down to unhook the plow from the truck, you need to unplug the two plugs. Make sure that the plug caps are clean before you close them because you don't want little pieces of gravel and salt getting into the electrical sockets.

3. Deebo53

Deebo53 Member

Thanks a lot...i appreciate the information...going to try it again once i get home from work..since we arent getting any snow anytime soon :realmad:

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

one thing put the control in float and before you un plug grab the chain put little slack in it make come off easyer

5. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i would definitely take it off, you will wear your front end out much faster with it on, it's also lighter on the truck for MPG's and easier on the transmission as well...plus i hate having a plow on the front of a truck when it's not needed

6. IDST

IDST Senior Member

just make a mental note of where the plow lines up with the hood from you drivers seat. Once you know that you can hook up and detach in thirty seconds easy. i have a 9'6 poly i bought last year and western has a great set up. i can pull up to my plow pull the two releases plug her in and go. Hooking up the wires takes longer than anything else.

7. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Get that off any time you can, you don't want it on when your not going to use it. Safer for the plow, truck, you, and your wallet. Plus you look odd when its 50 with a plow on.

8. Deebo53

Deebo53 Member

I put the shoes down and unplugged it yesterday and when i put it in reverse the plow still wasn't detaching....anyone have any suggestions?? I might just have to call the dealer today

9. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Disconnect everything put your shoes down Put the truck in reverse then hit the brake and the gas at the same time this will bring up the RPM's (you just need to bring them up a little), My truck is about 1,500 RPM's then release the brake. Just be careful when you do it. This will make the front end go down a little, and the fast jerk will brake it away.

10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I put mine on dollies, and sometimes have to pull real hard to get it loose from the truck. I now try to spray WD40 on the brackets and on the plow side before I stick the plow on to try to help make it easier to separate.

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You want to make sure the chain has some slack before unplugging If the chain is tight it wont come off easy

12. IDST

IDST Senior Member

did you get it off?

13. Deebo53

Deebo53 Member

Sure did...I detached everything drove forward a little then reversed right out with no problem

14. IDST

IDST Senior Member

Yeah that little push forward seems to break it loose. Just be sure you have room. I knocked over my wooden fence once not paying attention. oh well wife didn't see it and got it fixed right away. I jinxed myself and put the plow on last night and stopped it from snowing here in MN.

15. Deebo53

Deebo53 Member

It snowed for a total of 12 hours the past 2 days and not even a quarter inch in MI