1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

detachable truck body companies???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ok so i was talking to a buddy of mine He has a kodiak with a regular bed that he plows with now he wants to convert the bed to a dump truck. But i told him that it would be sweet if he got a switch and go...

Where he could have a dump truck body and a regular bed for on the weekends!

But for some reason we cant even get a hold of switch and go. We have called and emailed just to get a quote on a dump body and they havent responded...Its been like 3 weeks! I guess they are making so much money they dont need any other work...

I've never seen someone do this before...but has anyone ever done this? Anyone know if this is possible? Or Another company other than switch and go. That could possibly handle this task?

truck 1.jpg

2. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

not sur about a switch and go i have a f 550 with a stellar hooklift i run containers and a flat bed for my salter i also thought about a regular bed for my truck but the problem is all it the rails Truck frame rails then on top of that hook frame rails then last bot not least the 6 inch tubing needed to support and lift factory bed. by the time all that is there there the floor of the bed is chest high not to mention that fact that the dually fenders would be about 2 feet above the wheels , might look cool with 60 ich tractor tires but not stockers!!! rambling by now. i t could be done but lots of fab. to be done .

3. Plow man Foster

Oh yeah good point.....

4. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I have a 550 with stellar until also. It wouldnt really work do to frame rails as mentioned above but the other reason is the hook and eveerything sits right behind the cab and keeps the box back 12 or so inches more than normal. With alot of fab work something could be done to get close and would be cool but probably not worth it.

5. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

why not just buy a hook truck?

6. Plow man Foster

Im not sure.....we're still contemplating on what to do. Might just put a 550 gallon liquid tank in the back and use it for ALL liquid. only problem is mulch.. in the summer....

Hey guys above did you buy the truck and hook life separate? or was it all together when you bout it? If separate would you mind telling me the price for the lift,then the boxes.... Thanks

7. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I bought the truck used. Its an 06 f550 came with 2 10 yard boxes. We built a contractor box for it also.
    ONly pic of the truck I will look for a better one.
    [​IMG]

Leaf box being built
    [​IMG]

Contractor box being modified for hooklift
    [​IMG]

8. Plow man Foster

Nice think we're going to invest in a hook lift truck. One thing i really like is i can drop the guys off with a container of mulch and any they dont use all we gotta do is pick up the container instead of having to re shovel all that mulch that we didnt need back into the truck.

We got leaf removal covered.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

NICE! What size skidder is that in the box? No problems with loading/hauling it? Cool setup for sure.

10. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Image- the skid is a s205 and no it does fine with that one oading hauling so on. Also have a cat 257b and some days it will pick it up other days it won't. There a ways to pick it up but to hard to explain over ther computer. One disadvantage is the hook moves the box back 2 ft or so on the truck moving alot of weight to the rear. 40% of the box ends up being past the rear axle.

Plowman- We had aleaf setup like yours switched to this sold the trailer. No tires, lights, insurance and so on to worry about.

11. Plow man Foster

Oh yeah With that trailer its a Killer....with insurance. And we do so many loads the battery gets low quick on the dump so we are always recharging it! Need to add a bigger battery...

And couldnt your box moving situation be solved by just adding a a chain to the front of the box and hooking it onto the frame before it slides back??? Only thing is you would have to get out of the truck to unhook the box after transport...