1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Destroyed Boss V-XT wings

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by georgerk82, Feb 27, 2011.

1. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

I have a 9'2 v-xt that I bought brand new this winter, I also bought a set of Boss wings for the plow. Does anyone know if the wings are covered under warranty? I hit a rubber parking curb at about 5mph and I mangled one of the wings, it snapped the steel mounting tube right off, twisted the frame and cracked the poly. Ive hit a couple of curbs before and it just folded the plow in but unfortunatley this time the plow didnt move. There goes $700! payup

2. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Ouch

Ouch, that hurts, your not the first and won't be the last.....

Done in a set myself...

BOSS stands behind their products, but not if it is operator caused...

3. starc

starc Senior Member

Wouldn't think that kind of damage is covered under warranty, just my opinion.To them it would kind of like running into a wall and expecting warranty to cover it...

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Post some pics of it. Like the others said, its operator error and boss doesn't cover that. If you know someone thats handy with a welder take the poly off order a new one of those, then just re weld everything.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I only plow at 5mph too.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Ok, now tell us the truth.

:rolleyes:

7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Don't want to spill your coffee?? :waving:

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Saw my plowing video.:D

9. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

I dont sit at my computer all day long, sorry I didnt get back to you in 5 minutes! Yes I was only going 5mph. I was in a very tight area in a dump truck so I may not have even been going that fast, if I was going fast the plow would have folded in towards the truck. I was very suprised it snapped like it did because they have taken harder hits before, maybe they were already cracked and I didnt notice. Im not bitching about the product they are by far the best wings Ive ever used. Only reason I even asked is because a buddy of mine told me his wing was replaced under warranty. My dealer wont be open til tomorrow so I was just curious if Boss really covered them or if my buddy is full of it. As someone else mentioned I will probably fix the wing but Im not sure yet, I have not even looked at them close yet as it broke during a bad storm so I threw them in the truck and continued plowing. The truck is at my shop so I will get a photo tomorrow.

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

My Western wings folded up on me after a few hours of use. I was also going slow and I didn't even hit anything except some hardpack. The issue ended up being some missed welds by the factory employees/robots. You could plainly see where the welds were supposed to be and because of that everything got fixed under warranty.

You might have a similar situation so you might want to check that out.

11. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

Thanks for the info but mine didnt break near a weld, it broke in the center of the mounting tube, I could probably fix it but by the time I buy the metal, parts, and pay my mechanic I might as well buy a new wing. I did find out I dont have to buy the whole set so I will call tomorrow to get a price on one wing.

12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I'd rather fix and reinforce than buy another weak new one. :nod:

Oh and BTW, I only plow at 5 mph too and NEVER break ANYTHING... :jester:

13. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

Its actually the first thing i have ever broke while plowing! :waving:

14. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

First year?

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Either way, its his story and hes sticking to it. I know it doesn't take much to bend those wings. A buddy of mine was going about as fast as georgerk82 and he bent one of his wings pretty good. Nothing like georger, but it was still enough to piss ya off.

16. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

12th year, but let me refrase that statement, Its the first time Ive broke something on the truck! I did back over a Ford Explorer.

17. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I guess when you analyze how much pressure that it is possible to put on the tube when you catch the wing into something that doesn't give . It is simply amazing that they hold up as well as they do .
    As big as the wing is; for it too really hold up as well as the end of the plow would; It would require a couple of brace arms that were considerable larger than what is on there. Obviously the engineers; wanted it to just crumple that tube; Instead of damaging the plow itself............... Sounds like the tube is the fuse in the system. Seams like you could get that piece of tubing and just replace it?? Or is the whole wing crumpled????
    Sorry to hear about it; as this sorta stuff can happen to anyone....................

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  18. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

I would call Boss and ask em about it

19. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

Thank you, I will give them a call today. Have you ever replaced one under warranty? Also if they are not covered I may not replace them, it seems like they put tons of presure on the a-frame from the extra leverage?