1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Desperately needing help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mackengr, Nov 10, 2005.

1. mackengr

mackengr Junior Member

I have a 2003 F-250 Super Duty 6.0L Diesel Long Bed Super Cab. I am being told by all the local equimpent companies that since my truck does not have the snow prep package they can't install a plow. I understand their reasoning, but will a SnoWay 7.5' Poly plow be harmful to my truck and/or engine? How difficult would it be to install this plow myself? (I can find my way around a garage) What other types of companies would install plows? Last, would Timbrens help on the wear of my shocks?
  2. bterry

bterry Senior Member

First of all, I think you're looking for too small of a plow. I would think you'd want an 8 footer on a truck that long. Otherwise you'll be running over your windrows on tight corners. Besides that, I assume you trying to go commercial (posted in the commercial forum), and wider is most always better, unless you're doing walks or small tights spots. I hope that's not your purpose, 'cause now you got the wrong truck too!!;)

I don't think that any 8 foot plow out there would hurt your truck or engine.

Plows aren't that hard to install, but can be time consuming if you've never done one. There's good reasons to have a dealer do it - you should understand these before you try it yourself.

I believe Blizzard isn't as picky on the trucks they allow.

Timbrens won't help your shocks, they do help the springs however.
  3. bterry

bterry Senior Member

By the way, welcome to the boards. You'll get alot of replies from guy here with the same truck as yours. Hell, I have a 99 Superduty Supercab V10 (no plow prep) with a Blizzard 810 on it. I know the diesel is heavier, but not that much.

And 'umm ... you double posted, thats not a good idea.
  4. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Two things I've learned to hate is

Ford Dealers & Western Dealers. Unfortunatly, here they are the same person.

I was checking out a nice big F250 on the used lot and the sales guy was going on and on about how you can't put a plow on the deisel because of the heavy engine......and blah blah blah...

I felt like saying "Don't tell me you CAN'T do it. Tell me how you WILL do it."
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

My buddy has a 2003 250 Diesel with a plow prep package, ordered it that way, I think some one is full of sh*t.

You can put a plow on any 250 with or without a Diesel and not void anything, and it doesn't matter if it has the plow package or not. This topic has been discussed here a million times, just look under the Ford Truck discussion and you'll see allot.

My other job I sell to FMC and spend allot of time at the Kentucky Truck plant, home of the SD ( I love it ) and I have spoke with a ton of people there and never heard anything about plows being to heavy for there trucks.
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

First if a truck does not have the snow plow prep the dealer and the factory can void warranty work related to plowing because the truck was used for a porpose it was not designed or intended for. Many dealers will still do the warranty work, but few plow installers will accept the liability of installing on such a truck.

Second- the plow prep doesn't automatically guarantee you can put a plow on a truck as is the case in alot of diesel's. The simple fact is the front axle weight of a diesel is significantly more than a Gasser- no matter what make truck (while some are heavier than others) and overloading the front axle is probabile in a large portion of these cases. There are some that may not because of all the variations of plow design and weight. Doesn;t matter what has been said under the Ford truck discussion- you CAN void your warranty the issue is weither your local dealer will care.
    Glenspot- if the dealer told you " I can put a plow on this but it will cost you an additional $5000+ for a custom front axle and labor to install it" would you have gone for it? Would you have been any happier than when he said you can't put a plow on it?

Can you do it anyway- sure. Lots of us plow with Dodge Diesel's (voiding our warranties) or Ford diesel's (voiding warranties) but feel it's worth it anyway. I have not had any major issues relating from plowing that Dodge Diesel owners have not had anyway- in many cases I have had less problems or had the same problems way less often. Am I lucky? Probabily. Would anyone else have the same luck? Possibly. Fact of the matter is this- Until the Big three get smart about putting strong enough fron axle's in the diesel trucks (as an option or otherwise) to allow the FAGWR to handle a plow youhave one installed at your own risk. Be it risking axle failure, higher axle componant wear rates, or warranty voiding. Do as you will and as you wish.
  7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

justme, you have to be one of the smartest people on this site, I really respect and look froward to reading your replies, but this is one area I have to dis-agree with you. The oldest dealership ( Ford ) here in Michigan opened the day the Titanic sank, believe it or not, they are the biggest truck dealer around here. I called my sales guys and he said Ford will not void any warranty for trucks with plows, he said we ( the dealership ) put plows on all day for people and never mention that the trucks warranty will be void. I don't know, the more I type and think about this the more the endless variations / different circumstances there can be.

Oh well, take care :)
  8. mackengr

mackengr Junior Member

thanks for the help

thanks to everyone for their input. i got the final word on voiding warranties. i do not have snow prep package and two ford dealerships in town said that the warranty will not be voided if i add a plow, but they did recommend i upgrade my alternator. i am going with the snoway 8'.
  9. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we have an 05 250 sd crewcab shortbed and have put a 8' western proplus on it (it doesnt have the plow prep package) and my dealer has no problem honoring the warrenty.
  10. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Plow prep = bigger Alt and more cooling for the motor and trans
  11. Rappa

Rappa Member

If you have a quad-cab with the deisel, then the GVW's will be over with the plow installed. That's why they won't install it. However, you can do it yourself. Just because it isn't reccommended , doesn't mean you can't do it. Go with an 8 footer.
  12. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Ford doesn't offer a plow prep package on an extended cab diesel, nor do they recommend it. They will give you a hard time about it if something happens to the truck due to plowing.

DERBYDON Member

Answer (Maybe) for Louisville

I ran into the same issue last year when I bought my Snow Way.

Answer: Coyle Chevrolet in Clarksville installed the Snow Way on my 2003 Chevy 2500 HD even though I don't have plow prep on the truck.

You could start with Coyle and also try local Ford dealers. Coyle has one mechanic that does all their installations.

A little advice. Don't be afraid to get the heavier Snow Way plow. The truck can handle it. Especially if you add the Timbrens to the front. On a Chevy you have to adjust the torsion bars and have the front end realigned.

Good Luck.
  14. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

My 02 SD 250 7.3 PSD don't have a prep. pkg. Ford dealer installed western 8' pro plow, If it can handle that heavy engine, it can handle that plow. (it was added to my invoice when I bought the truck, kinda hard to void the warranty when they installed it)
    The new SDs have coils so, add a air lift kit to it.
    pure BS! plan on early replacement of ball joints, even then, from what I understand mine lasted longer than most. I got 80,000 out of my ball joints,
    all 4 went bad at the same time this last summer. (3 seasons plowing and traveling crappy pot hole roads.)
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2005