1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Designing rubber edge - would appreciate your input!

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by kyplowgirl, Jan 10, 2008.

1. kyplowgirl

kyplowgirl Junior Member
    from ky

Hello all,

I am a design engineer and am working on a rubber cutting edge for a 72" plow we make (light duty - used for UTVs).

I have a prototype edge (1"x6"x72") with 3" slots. First off, after assembling to the plow, I would prefer holes instead of slots to make sure the entire bottom edge is as best aligned as it can be, what do you think?

Secondly, I can't adjust the overhang small enough to avoid chatter. I can't wear in the initial angle/chamfer because I can't get enough "face time" with the concrete due to this excessive chatter. I have my blade in float mode, but I have also tried down pressure (1000 lbs).

I have never used one in snow, and I am testing on DRY concrete, which I realize is not realistic. I am looking for your experiences when plowing with a rubber edge (what the conditions were like, how much overhang, did you use down pressure, etc.). If you have a second, I'd really appreciate the help!

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

try wetting the pavement to simulate snow, try backing up, to wear in the edge it will probably produce less chatter. it may be to warm where you are, rubber is stiffer in the cold, stiffer rubber less chatter.
  3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

I quit using rubber on our stuff and went to Urethane years ago. Email or PM for more info.

4. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

if you are using a rubber edge you will want slots in the rubber for adjustment when it wears the rubber edge wont wear much because the rubber edge acts like a big squeegee so you will want at least i would say 2" of over hang... one bad thing about the rubber edge it is really onlt good for wet snow because in a cold snow there will be ice underneath that you wont be able to get but again it is on a atv.... and the question about the down pressure i quite don't understand