1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

designing a storm log

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by sven1277, Mar 4, 2009.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I want an easy way of keeping track of on site visits and what was done at each stop. This year, I was using a simple spreadsheet log. A separtate sheet for each property. I kept track of time in/out plowing, sanding, sidewalks, icemelt, temperature, and weather conditions. I am thinking of redesigning it to a single page (or 2) per event instead of a page per account. It would be great if I could design something that would work for both daily landscape maintenance in the summer and plowing in the winter. Any suggestions or samples would be a great help.

2. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Is this just for 1 plower (U), or for multiple vehicles?
    On our log sheets, I find it easier to have a log sheet for each (seperate) customer. Its alot easier to transfer data when u do your invoices.
    I started the season this year 'cause i didn't have my stuff in order w/ just writing evryone I have in the order in which they where done. What a mess at the end of the 1st month.:cry:!!!!!!

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Its for all of the drivers. I was using a separate sheet per account this year. It worked ok. I thought maybe a per storm sheet would be easier.

4. KnowWhereBetter

KnowWhereBetter Junior Member

How much information are you capturing? If you could text yourself information, and receive a compiled list of your activities including location would you use it?

Actively building business in the lawn and plow industries using messaging and GIS technologies.

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I use per storm sheets. I break the accounts up into regions, i.e. Uptown, NE, SW, Downtown, whatever. They are then listed on spreadsheets with date, time/in out, and notes sections. One sheet per acct. would be too much paper