1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

design defect with Western Wide out

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by richinalaska, Mar 28, 2013.

1. richinalaska

richinalaska Junior Member

I have been a Western user for 25+ years. I have a Western Wide Out that is about 3 years old and up to now has been ok with exception to a faulty solenoid that cost me $20 to replace.

My problem is during the middle of a storm the upright posts that secure the chain and support the headlamps fell forward when I was driving. I noticed that the 4 bolts that secure it to the subframe had sheared off and the base of the post were split apart from the weight of the blade. I inquired at the local dealer who said Western made a modification to the 11 and newer models. I find it strange that so much weight is supported by so little metal.

I have not contacted Western, but will tomorrow, so let's see how they handle this situation. In the meantime, Anchorage was just hit with 24" of snow on the hillside and my friend let me use his Boss V plow. At first I hated it, because of the poor ergonomics of the handheld control. It is of poor design because the buttons are too big and far apart. My other issue was the width of the blade compared to my wide out, but that is not an apples to apples comparison.

After 38 hours in two and a half days with the Boss, here is my evaluation. Depending the response I get from Western and their goodwill policy will dictate my next plow purchase. I watched the Western video and the Boss video. Whoever produced the Boss video should be fired. I don't know what eating donuts has to do with plow performance.

After 17 hours I overcame my issue with the boss hand held controller. I love the hydraulic feature of the Boss versus the chain setup on the Western. Anyone who has hit a frost heave knows what I am talking about. The other issue about speed is a trade off. Drop the Western Plow when you're plowing right outside of your customer's window at 3am and you will sure to get a phone call. The Boss sets the blade down gently and thereby eliminating the "clunk". The seconds difference is a meaningless advantage.

What it boils down to is service and goodwill. Stay posted to (richinalaska) and I will update this blog until this issue is resolved (or not).

2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have any pics of the failure?

I'm wondering if this is the same problem that MANY Ultramount users had towards the beginning of their introduction. Other than those generally crushed the hood of many trucks.

I know there's some threads on here with pics, but I can't find them right now.

Good luck.
  3. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

There has been a redesign on the upper lift frame, it sounds like you have the old version that tended to fail where it attaches to the lower lift frame.
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

You can adjust the speed of the drop on your Western by turning the quill clockwise in 1/4 increments until it falls at your desired rate.
  5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

According to “Yukon Men” they fix everything with wire, wood and cardboard(j/k).
    Not really sure why this cannot be welded and add some gussets for some more strength. Post some pics.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

First of all, welcome to Plowsite!!!!!

I also been a Western plower for over 25 years and had two Wideouts in the last 5 years.

How about some background info on your set up?

What type of truck?

What config is your unit set up in?

Do you use stacking blocks?

Do you run ballest?

pics would be very helpful, here's a couple of my 2011 WO

7. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

my guess is his does not have the extra plate where the bolts are on liftframe...
  8. richinalaska

richinalaska Junior Member

I'll have photos posted today. I had the plow installed by the Western authorized retailer. Answering previous posts, I have a 01 dodge 2500 V10. I have 600 lbs of ballast. My truck is factory and not modified in any way.

Thanks for the quill adjustment recommendation. That still does not stop the blade from bouncing upwards if you hit a frost heave or speed bump/hump.

It's interesting that the retailer I paid over $6k for the plow and install spent zero time explaining anything to me. Maybe Western would think it prudent to have the sales person explain the operation and maintenance upon delivery.
  9. 1olddogtwo

you know my thinking, by the way, that's the plow I got from you guys
  10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

rich, here's a couple links for you to look through.

Although just be prepared, because this might just be the only problem DD has ever had with this plow\mount. Or you abused it.

I'm just absolutely sure that in the near future, DD may or may not come out with a new lift frame design that will be MASSIVE and will take care of future problems.

Those with an old design.............well, you're kinda just screwed.
  11. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would admit the boss would be nice for going down the road. There are a few spot s that I know are extremely rough, I lift the blade all the way up so is against the stops this way it can't bounce up and slam down. Hope you get it straightened out.
  12. 1olddogtwo

Show me a plow without a design defect of some sort.
  13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a bunch of pre-DD Blizzards without any design defects.
  14. 1olddogtwo

I knew that was coming......and I'll leave it at that.
  15. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't ask, if you don't want to hear the answer.

There is nothing wrong with the design such as the lift tower failing as has been the case for Westerns for some time. Or the weak hinge on the V plows--Western and Fisher, otherwise they wouldn't have redesigned it and called it MASSIVE.

Areas that are weaker than another? Sure, but that is to prevent larger problems and designed into all plows. But nothing that is weak and has had to have plates or bolts or an entirely redesigned hinge.

I have a 15 YO Monroe full trip that has no design defects. At the time, it was a grand more than a 10' Western muni. Other than hoses and edges, I haven't touched that plow.

My Ebling back plows don't have any design defects.

My ProTechs don't have any design defects.

My Boss UTV V-Plow is only 2 years old, but has not shown any evidence of design defects.

My Daniels Wing Plow did, but we fixed them and has been problem free since.

I can't speak to other brands, these are the only ones I have experience with.
  16. 1olddogtwo

We could act like child or adult here, I will man up and not get in to a pissing match, besides MJD will poof this thread.

To the OP, any luck with the pic's
  17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

OK, but don't ask a question if you know you won't like the answer.
  18. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Richinalaska - let me know in you're having any trouble getting this resolved and covered by your dealer. Jim is correct, it should have the lift frame couplers installed. This is something that we would take care of.

John Murphy
    VP, Sales
    Douglas Dynamics
  19. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I was just browsing and ran into this thread. I just ordered a new 8.5 poly v plow. I am wondering if these issues are with the new ones or the old ones?? As always the smallest bad has a bigger voice then the largest good.
  20. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Amen to that it' like the ford dodge chevy debate... Anything is only as strong as it's weakest point it may take a lot to find that point but it's there.