1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

desiel trucks vs. gas trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sirsweatsalot, Dec 4, 2002.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot Banned
    from MN

just wondering who is useing type of truck and the reasons behind it. advantages and disadvantages.
    thanks

2. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Gas
    It was cheaper by 4,700
    that way I could afford the truck
    And it's quiet also
    I buy the diesel if I had to tow any thing big, but I don't
    2002 F250 super cab w/5.4, auto & 4:10 ls
    with a western 8' poly pro

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

2 Powerstrokes here, I went diesel for the torque for towing and hauling, plus durability. An added benefit is fuel economy, although it doesn't justify the added expense by itself.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

'90 Dodge 1/2 ton - gas - it's what I had
    '96 Chevy 3500 - diesel - bought specifically for sanding. Wanted a diesel for the power to haul a loaded 2 yd Vbox.

5. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I want a diesel but got a gas. It was more affordable and I don't annoy my neighbors when I leave for work at 5am.

6. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I go with big block gas for plowing. My Dodge V10 has the torque of the Diesel, and makes it at 2200RPM, and more HP and is the smoothest running engine I've owned, it gives reasonable MPG. only a couple less then my buddies Cummings. It takes a LOT of miles to make up the difference in initial cost for the diesel. And the V10 is lighter then the Cummings.

Bill

7. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

02' f-250, 02' f-350, and 93' GMC 2500... All Gas... Could not justify the deisel for plowing alone. All 3 have been great trucks.
    Just my opinion
    Rick

8. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

have a 98 K2500 6.5L TD

Went to the diesel for hauling, plowing and mileage is better, but I went with a used truck to save the money. As far as waking my neighbors, if I have to be up, then its ok for them

:waving: :waving: :waving:

9. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

Our trucks that plow only are gas. The ones that pull heavy loads are diesel.

10. EIB

EIB Senior Member

F350 7.3L Powerstroke 525 Ft lbs of torque at 1600 RPM. Great pulling and pushing power. 8 1/2 ft MVP Plow. Main reasons, better mileage, durability. The best reason nothing sounds as good as a diesel. :D Even my lawnmower is a 3 cylinder diesel.

11. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

We currently run three trucks all Ford f-350 diesels, one IDI, two powerstrokes and would recomend diesel to anybody, but for some it is just a luxury not a neccessity.

BTW search this topic as it has been done every season (sometimes more than once).

12. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I like the points brought up. I have a 5.8L in my F150. I always liked the 300 6 cyl. I had a 5.0L once. I found the 5.8L is a little more econmical than the 5.0 and worth the extra fuel for the power the 6 cyl lacked to tow and push snow. I like the idea of the deisels torque but like the point of luxury over necessity I gues the 5.8L suits my needs.

13. Two diesels, (Powerstrokes)
    They're big, they're loud, and they stink, (fumes)
    Just as a truck should be, Don't you love them....

14. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Sorry Bill but, I DON"T THINK SO!;)

Mine dynoed last at 427 RWHP and 796 ft/lbs. Torque on diesel only. It tows 10k lbs. almost daily, plows, hauls, oh and does 14's in the 1/4 mi.

Just some good natured ribbing:D :drinkup:

Diesel, it's not just a fuel, it's an attitude!

Greg

15. NPC2002

NPC2002 Junior Member

Last year I bought a 01 5.4 F-250 what a gasser, I traded it in for a 02 F-350 Desiel and boy am I happy with it. The power is there and the fuel economy is great for a truck that size. Yes it is a $4,840 option but in the long run with the fuel saving and expecially the resale value you will be ahead. If you are allready going to spend $30,000 on a truck what is anther $4,840 get it if you can and dont make the mistake like I did by buying a gasser. I know you guys that have a Powerstroke(or any Desiel) will never got back to a gasser. I know I wont!!!!

16. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree, once you get a diesel you never go back to a gasser. I know I won't.

17. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We have 3 Powerstrokes F350's, pickup 4wd in city 21mpg, 2 dumps same 17mpg, 1 Chevy gas 3500 4wd pickup 8mpg and Dodge 5.9 gas 4wd 3500 12mpg all do vary a little but if you put 25k plus a year on each truck the diesel saves us ALOT! of $$$$$$$$$$$$$. If its a brand new truck and you dont put over 25k a year on and dont live in an area with big hill and mountians stay with the gasser and save your $4300 or more but that 4k will come in handy if you really run it.

18. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot Banned
    from MN

not a fan of the V-10. my buddy has one he's trying to sell it..still!
    but i think im leaning to the desiel. i would be haulling in the summer 500galons of lawn fert and in the winter most likey pushin with it.

19. NPC2002

NPC2002 Junior Member

IF you are haulin 500 gals around go with Desiel

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

Diesel

97 Cummins Turbo Diesel,345000 K\11500 Hrs with no repairs or breakdowns.Avg 24-26 MPG unloaded and 12-16 towing 12000 Lbs,tons of power (350 HP,750 TQ) with minor cheap mods.Diesel was a no brainer for me.Resale is also a big factor too.Around here my truck used is 5-8000.00 more than a similar gas model.