1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Desiel Transmission

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Langlois Enterprise, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Langlois Enterprise

Langlois Enterprise Junior Member

I have a 1985 GMC 1 ton, desiel 4 wd dump truck automatic transmission. I am having problems with 3rd gear. I have a transmission from a gas 1 ton, I was told that they are not the same. The throttle body is different ? Anybody have experance with desiel transmissions.:confused:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as they're both Turbo 400's then they're physically the same and will interchange...BUT you have to use the valve body, governor, and the torque converter from the diesel trans or it won't shift/operate correctly. Everything else is the same...

Make sure if you swap the components that you check them over and clean them thoroughly or else you run the risk of transfering any contaminants/debris from the old trans to the replacment one. This doesn't include the converter, don't attempt to reuse it as it can't be easily or properly cleaned internally, replace it with a reman unit.

Note: Thread needs moved out of the pic forum.

3. Langlois Enterprise

Langlois Enterprise Junior Member

Transmissions desiel

Thanks for the info on the transmissions desiel.:salute:

4. 80sturgisrider

80sturgisrider Member

I disagree with having to do all the changing over to a new valve body, torque convertor, etc. I have done MANY gas to diesel conversions using the 6.2 and 6.5 diesel with the TH400 automatic transmission. The ONLY issue I have had to deal with was adjusting the modulator. It has a little teeny tiny screw inside of the hole where the vacuum line connects. As long as the TPS on your injection pump is adjusted and working (which means your vacuum pump must also be working), you will not have any trouible with the TH400 (unless you actually have a problem with the inards in the trans).

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And so to have I. And cranking on the modulator is a poor way to compensate for the differences in the various part that are different between the gas and diesels. It simply crutches the differences.

Will it work? Depends on what one would call acceptable. IMO no it doesn't. WOT shifts are incorrect and so to is the stall speed (neither of which the modulator adjustment have any bearing on). Still needs the valve body (or at the least the 1-2 and 2-3 shift and shuttle valves) and converter changed to work as its intended.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Wrong.

Right. You don't want your diesel shifting at gasser RPM's.

7. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

I have a th 400 out of a 89 chevy 1 ton that had a 6.2 in it 2wd for sale