1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Desiel fumes in a skidsteer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by litle green guy, Feb 1, 2001.

1. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

We just got a vynal enclosure from northern for our skidsteer and a couple people where saying that because there's no air flow the fumes could get inside and kill me. What do you guys think?

2. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

We have a 2001 Bobcat 753, with a winter cab/heater. There are still air gaps if you look around. The exhaust from my machine is to the rear and at least a foot behind the cab. I haven't had any complaints from operators about fumes in it, can't imagine they would be able to sell it if people were dying, it's not like cab enclosures on skidsteers are new yesterday.

3. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

BS!!

No way man, don't listen to the BS hype! We have year round cabs on 2 of ours and the plastic/poly/vinyl whatever cab on 1 more and there are gaps all around, etc. Theres no way you get exhaust fumes in there. The muffler and pipe face backwards and 1-2 feet behind the cab like LGG just said. We never had any problems and our guys sit in them for a whole 12 hour shift.

4. guido

P.S.

The above statement in no way causes David Famiglietti to take responsiblity for the sudden death of Mr. Little Green Guy. It is personal opinion based on the poster and may not be the opinion of scientists, doctors or lawyers.

Thank you for your time!:)

;)

5. litle green guy

That's what I figured but because when I thought about it, What about backhoes, dozers and stuff like that, there all ok and I dought they could sell something like that if I was dangerous. Better safe than sorry though, I figured I should find out before there scaping me out of the machine and using it so dig me a hole. Thanks

6. litle green guy

oh yah on the New Holland the muffler is like 4 feet behind the cab.

BTW- Guido, if your wrong and I die I'm coming back to haunt you.

7. klite

klite Junior Member

Exhaust

To answer your Question. Long ago when all trucks were all gas powered, the fumes would put the drivers of said trucks to sleep forever. Thats why they invented the Diesal engine because the fumes might be noxious (smell bad) it will not put you to sleep forever.

Just My 2 cents

8. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Guido

Have you been moonlighting at the lawyer school again? Good point for all of us to follow, (not ntcessarily about posts), but never forget two sets of practice. The three D's, Document, Document, Document. And PYOB this one means Protect Your Own Butt. You after all are the only one you can count on to do that.

Bruce
    Happy Plowing

9. steveair

steveair Senior Member

This is why all operators should smoke....at least the cigarette burning down to their finger when they pass out will wake them up!

Anyway, can't see it being much of a problem. With the amount of days I have spent in my life standing next to a bobcat while on a jobsite with that 'breath of god' blowing on me from out the side of the thing, I figure standing around it can't be much worse than being in it.

Plus, I hear stories all the time about pilots who get knocked out in their planes because of exhaust fumes. (in small single props and what not, the heat comes off of the exhaust, no radiators, and if not serviced properly, can leak into the cab. I figure at least your 6 inches above the ground and not 6000 ft. Plus, when you ram into the side of a park car, that should wake you up and give you time to get out.

steveair

[Edited by steveair on 02-01-2001 at 08:34 PM]

10. guido

STEVE

Theres only so many "pro's" that can hang the cig from there mouth and not use it as an excuse for screwing up!! I quit smoking a few months ago, but when a guy on my crew uses that excuse (all the time) that he hit something because he was trying to smoke , I get in there take one of his cigs light it up and show him how its done! I never thought of the safety risk of NOT smoking like you did. You think it will fly with my wife so I can start lighten up again? LOL

STEVE - READ YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES!@!!!!!!!

11. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Just a thought!
    You should buy an old army Protective mask and make the guy wear it when he's plowing.
    Guarantee the fumes will disappear:D:D:D:D

12. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Not to mention that it scares the livin' heck out of a store owner in the middle of the night.

13. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

We have the cab from bob cat. No problems so far.

Geoff

14. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Just wondering if that is how you got your name?

You turn green from inhaling all those fumes:D

P.S.Same pricipal as cigars!!!!

15. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Whether its a vinyl enclosure or the winter cab, there are air gaps, If you don't feel that they are enough, crack open a sliding window on a winter cab or if the vinyl enclosure has a zipper or snap door open in just a crack.

We have a bobcat here with a winter cab and heat, so far no fume problems.

Are you sure your exhaust pipe isn't run into your cab for additional heat? If so somebody goofed!! :D

16. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

Some very wrong answers.....

I am a Music Teacher, but I also have a degree in biology and Chemistry.... The post earlier that states that fumes from Diesel are not dangerous.... is not true..

Anytime you burn a liquid of the petro type... diesel, gas....etc.... you are creating several by-products... and for all of them CO is one of them... which is Carbon Monoxide which will kill you with out you knowing... you will fall asleep and then die... so not true about diesel not being bad for you

17. Kenkreger

Kenkreger Member

:nono:
    Just be sure your exhaust system is in good shape. Diesels do emit carbon monoxide gas which is poisoness.
    Breathing bonds oxygen to the blood in you body and it gets carried around you body to muscles, heart etc. You need it or the boy passes out

The problem is that carbon monoxide bonds to the blood 200 times faster then oygen, If your sitting there not doing much, this goes unnoticed until you do some phyical work, when you stand up, walk,etc then you pass out from the lack of oxygen!
    If you pass out in the area with the co in it, you will never wake up to get out.
    I've had some first hand expierence with this (not in a vehicle, propane furnace in our bunkhouse trailer) and it sneaks up on you.
    If being in a machine makes you drowsy, dizzy, sweaty and uncomfortable, stagger, vomit these are all prime symtoms of co poisoning
    We were vary lucky.
    Ken

18. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

could mount a fume detector in the cab.

john

19. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

lol, now thats a good one. Rudolf Diesel invented the diesel engine because it produces less fumes. :dizzy: and whats better, diesel fumes wont put you to sleep.
    any time you combust something it gives off deadly fumes. gas, disel, wood, anything.

20. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

maybe rudolph diddnt commit suicide, maybe he was driving his bobccat in 1894 with a vynal cab on it.....