1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

deseil motor rebuild?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Yzal, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

i was wondering if any one knows how complicated or prices for a deseil motor rebuild on a 6.5L chevy?
    thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

They are no more complicated than most gas motors,just the parts are much more expensive.A long block starts at 2500.00 and up.Complete engines can run up over 4000.00

If it's a minor problem it might be worthwhile to have an engine shop tear it down and just repair it.

Are you sure it needs an engine and it's not a pump or injector problem ?

3. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Wyldman,

He just wants a rebuild... no need for a long block on a rebuild....or a complete engine....

you just need the internals for a rebuild... have you ever rebuilt a gas moter Yzal??? if you have never try it, find a good local garage or mechanic... also expece it to be down for a little bit of time... most good mechanics are backlogged... and also if they are not... I am not sure that I would want someone who said bring it in tommorow morning and I could have it done by evening working on my truck... .

the actually motor rebuild does not take that long... the work to do the rebuild take most of the time....

that is my .02, but I am sure that someone will disagree

Pete :waving:

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not trying to disagree,but be very careful getting someone to rebuild it.If it's just one part,then a quick repair would be in order,but if it needs a complete rebuild,then I would go with a long block.Most times,by the time you tear it down,machine everything,replace the neccesary components,your getting pretty close to the price of a long block.

Another aspect is warranty,if joe mechanic rebuilds it for you cheap,and it grenades itself,will he be buying you a new motor ? Most good long blocks will come with a good warranty.Installing a complete engine eliminates any problems with the pump and injectors as well.

5. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

i have rebuild a gas engine but this task i don't think i want to tackel. it would be nice to have a warrenty on a new motor. will see how it goes thanks. the truck im wondering this for i have not bought yet its still in good shape but im looking into it in case the seller is not very honest! thanks guys!

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

I USE JASPER REMAN ENGINES THEY HAVE A GREAT WARRANTY AND SINCE YOUR EXCHANGING YOURS FOR THEIRS YOU CAN USALLY HAVE IN A FEW DAYS THEY CAN SELL YOU A REMAN CHEAPER THAN A LOCAL MACHINE SHOP CAN REBUILD YOURS

CARDOCTOR:waving: