1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deos not hold angle and stops working

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by branko1, Dec 19, 2008.

1. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Last night I finally installed the mount on my ranger, and this afternoon I hooked up my STD80 to it and was ecstatic because it worked! That is until I tried to actually plow with it.
    The blade does not hold angle and then it stops moving in any direction! After playing with the electrical connections I got it going again but it would not hold the angle again. Then I could not move it again any direction until I disconnected and reconnected the power harness.
    I read in my manual that I should refer to the dealer for the holding of the angle problem (caused by crossover relief valve stuck, or pressure setting too low or by angle valve stuck/shifted) but I was hoping to avoid that by asking you for advise. Also why does it stop to operate when it moves the blade to the side while plowing?
    I know you are all tired out from plowing through this storm but maybe tomorrow you can give me some advice. (I will post pictures of the rig after I install the bumper back so it looks decent:) )

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I would check the plug for loose pins or corrosion

3. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I checked and cleaned the plugs. The plow moves in all directions but still does not hold angle. (I do need a new battery - the lights go dim every time I move the blade any direction.

Can anyone tell me how to diagnose and fix the problem? I would really prefer not going to the dealer at this time (a lot of monies spent on the plow and none made yet). Should l have to go to the dealer eventually, I at least want to be an informed customer.

thank you!

Branko

4. dadam

dadam Junior Member

What kind of voltage does your gauge show during operation. My hiniker wont stay up if voltage is too low.

5. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I don' know, but It does not seem to be drawing much, if any amps when down and plowing, so I think it is hydraulics.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

check to be sure the spool valve moves freely

7. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Basher, what the heck is a spool valve? (it is not listed in my manuals) Would it be the cross over valve (seems there are two of those). and how do I check it moves freely? Do you guys have some repair manuals?

Thank you

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

9. what were you trying to push that caused it to change angle?

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I had a brain fart. you don't have a spool valve.:nono: thats a fenner pump issue and as Tom pointed out (nicely without any disparaging remarks on my intelligence) you have the monarch unit.

It sound like dealer time to me. It could be your receiver unit or a hydraulic problem If the motor does not run when you give commands i would think it's a control/power issue. although the angle issue could well be a crossover valve if it just arbitrarily moves under load.

Could be two separate issues, one power, one hydraulics. It needs a pressure gage and multi-meter taken to it for better diagnostics. Only so much you can do be just "looking" at it.

11. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Lowrangr,
    I tried to push snow and then I just pushed it down the driveway without any load (snow)
    still the same.

12. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Basher and Tom,
    thanks for your help. I know it is just before Xmas and after the snow so any mistakes are excused.
    I wrote to the guy from whom I bought the plow to see if he had had issues with it and this is what he wrote (let me know what you think):
    If you have the plow angled to the right, for example, and all the snow you're pushing is on the left side of the plow, the weight of the snow will push the blade back to the left. It has always done that for me. I think it's because the hydraulics aren't designed to stand up to that type of stress. If there is packed snow (tire tracks) or ice on the ground you may encounter the same thing. You have to keep the snow that you're trying to move on the angled part of the blade closest to the truck. It's a little hard to describe so I drew a picture, see the attachment. Keep the chunk of snow you are taking a bite out of on a third to maybe a half of the plow. Also, with larger snowfalls, you have to take smaller bites out of the snow. If will take longer, but it is a smaller plow. I hope that helps a little. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Branko

(i think it is just one amateur talking to another) :)

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There are crossover relief valves to prevent over loading the unit if you are trying to push hard packed, or large amounts of snow ,yes it will "relieve" to the heaviest loaded side.

14. when the plow stops working, is the green light on the controller lit? if it is, what does it do when you give it a function? And does the unit make any noises? it sounds like either a power or power connector issue.

15. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Noises yes

yes the unit was making noises, but after I cleaned the connectors the plow does not stop working (other than not holding pressure) so I can lift it drop it turn right or left even the DP works. But yes it was making noises like tatatatatatat every now and then.

16. ok, then it sounds like a connection issue. Be sure to squirt some dielectric grease in there to prevent corrosion. If it does it again, see if the power connectors are warm. that indicates a bad connection and the power is arcing across the terminals.

17. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

update

O.K. guys the saga goes on.
    After the busy (lots of extended family in the house) and rainy Xmas I cleaned all the connections in the monarch unit, plugged the plow in, powered the remote pushed up button and.... NOTHING! the plow does not move at all now. So I took my multimeter out and found that the power is going to the unit (just above 14V) but not beyond the starter solenoid. Today I jumped the motor directly from the battery and it runs. I took the multimeter out again and checked the coil in the motor start solenoid switch for resistance and it was showing "1" on the display which I am assuming to be an infinite reading i.e. open circuit. (I went through the whole scale on the ohm meter and I got the same reading "1" while a control check on one of the valve solenoids showed some reading). By the way I managed to brake the connector (the wire side) going to the solenoid when I was trying to disconnect it, but that should not be a problem to replace.
    What do you think - is my motor start solenoid switch gone or am I missing something?
    Thank you for your input and Happy New Year!

Branko

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

19. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Partially there

It was the solenoid. I changed it and it works now. It still seems that I have an issue with the power harness - there was not enough voltage going to the unit (2.4V) until I unplugged it and plugged it again little bit tighter. Anything I can do besides replacing the harness or both (truck and plow side)?
    Back to the holding of the angle issue. Obviously it is my first plow so I do not know if it really behaves normally and the only way to really find out if it holds the pressure the way it should is to test it with a pressure gauge. However I tried to push or pull on one side of the blade and was able to push it all the way back. It did require some effort but less then I expected (I am no big guy some 150 pounds). Can I generate 2000psi (pressure to which the cross-over valve should be set) by just leaning against one side of the blade?
    (I think I am gonna buy the pressure gauge after all. I think I am going to know the plow as the back of my hand before I get to use it)

Branko

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Clean the power connections well and check the continuity of the harnesses. Your crossover reliefs could be a little soft if you can physically push it back. You should buy a pressure gage if you are going to start playing with setting. We think we still have Snoway test packs that include a pressure gage left in stock.