1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dentist office parking lot bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Jguck25, May 23, 2010.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I need help bidding this lot for sanding/salting and plowing every storm. I am looking for a per push estimate for plowing this place.. I am assuming that it will take about an hour to do but i am not sure.. The link is not very clear but it gives the approximate size and layout. It does have curbs in the middle and everything has to be pulled away from the building. I am assuming it will take about an hour (not positive though). it will obviously need to be kept clean and I am assuming they will want it cleared every 2 inches of snow. Sand/salt mix at the end of each storm. Sand/salt is around 55-60 a yard around here. I am not 100% sure on this number, but I was talking to one of the employees at this dentists office and she said they pay around 300 per storm for sanding/salting. I was not sure if she got confused and that is for both plowing AND sanding..

I know everyone is going to give me a different answer because i know that it really depends on your area for exact pricing, but I am also asking how long it should take to plow with a 9 foot plow. ( if you look at my signature youll see that i could either be plowing with a 9 foot straight or hopefully 9'2" V).

I sound like a complete newbe by saying this but, Im not sure exactly how to calculate how much i need to make per hour to stay profitable. I do have expenses such as insurances, truck payments, repairs, and all the other costs of plowing. but since the winters vary sooo much in my area, i find it very hard to put a number on what i need to make per hour. i may have to plow 1000 hours one year, and only 200 the next.

but anyway, here is the link for the lot i am asking about lol

2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

i was just looking at that picture again and it is not that recent.. and the picture is taken at an angle so the trees cut off a little of the parking lot and does not show exactly how big the lot is. Since this picture was taken they have added in islands and curbs, and added a section of about 20'x15'.
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

ok, here is some help for you
    take your hard expenses (insurance, maintenance costs, rent/office truck payments etc) figure them out by the year, and then divide them by 12 (months) now add in how much you figure running costs are on your equipment, gas, repairs etc (it does well to keep all costs in a ledger and divided into these catagories so you can analyze this stuff every year) divide that by the amount of hours you are going to work in a season. go with a minimum amount you expect in a year. then divide in your hard costs. now you have a cost you need to maintain your buisness, now you need to allow for extra money, what does your buisness need to expand? what do you want to take home? add that into your hourly rate. now you have what you should be charging by the hour.

I hope i haven't lost you because the important part is coming up.

look at your contracts (including this one) and figure out what your monthly bills/costs are, now the way i do my buisness, it to line up enough contracts on seasonal accounts to make sure my monthly costs are covered (that way if i have a slow snow month, i know my monthly costs are covered) now apply your hourly rates to your jobs, you can also do per push amounts, but i recommend that you take what you figure hourly, and adjust it 20% higher because there are going to be times when you get stuck there longer then other times.

Now this is a simplistic way of explaining this, but if you do a couple searches ( per push costs, per hour costs, etc) you well find many good buisness planning models on this site, i hope this helps you out

now looking at this place, (assuming it is the parking lot to the right) i would guess 1.5-2 hours with one truck, about 1/2-1 yard of sand/salt (it is hard for me to guess how long it well take with a truck because i use skidsteers and loaders only)
  4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Thank you that is exactly what I needed. And yes, it is the parking lot to the right with a sort of long driveway going into the place. And using the information in your post I found that I need to make roughly 120 an hour. Thanks for all the great information
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Good advice Buckwheat!