1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Demo on changing a poly cutting edge on an inverted blower

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Neige, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

So my brother John and I spent the day filming how to change a UHMW poly blade on one of our inverted blowers. I hope it helps, and demystifies some of the work. Enjoy, I will also be putting it up in my video thread.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzbRoVF05pA

2. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Very informative video.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

how long will the new blade last?

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Paul what are the dimensions of the cutting edge (thickness and width, obviously length is specific to blower), of cutting edge & retaining strip ? Is there a lip that the cutting edge sits against ?

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

20-25 Outings.....it was in the video ;)

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Mike I will have to check it out for your blower model, I think for a SHoule its 6 inches deep and 1.5 inches thick. If you could pm me your phone number I will give you a call tomorrow, much easier for me than by email.

And yes the blade should last around 20 outings, it really depends on the conditions of the streets. In my area the are now mostly covered with packed snow and ice, the blade hardly gets any wear in these types of conditions.

7. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Great Video...you new exactly what question I wanted to ask when the video started, haha

8. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting, I've never seen UHMW used on a blower yet, so I certainly learned something from it. I have worked with the material though, for those making their own, you can deal with it like wood, so the notch for the steel strip could be cut on a table saw for example.

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Nice video Paul!

I put 2" thick UHMW on a few blowers this year, and we mounted them different then Paul did. We used the steel cutting edge as a template to drill 5/8" holes in 2" thick UHMW. Then used a 1.25" bit to countersink the holes for use with a "Scraper Blade Bolt" if you know what they are.

The trick to countersinking the hole is to put a stop in the bottom of the hole for the larger bit to bottom out on. (I used a short piece of 5/8" bolt). Then just bolted it on like normal. After doing it a couple times I have it down to about a 15-20 minute process also. This method would work for any blower without the need for the notch in the UHMW.

10. paper65

paper65 Junior Member
    from Quebec

The first UHMW poly blade that I installed on our blower was mounted the way IMAGE expose but we have change to Paul method after having hit couples of unfrozen street border. When hitting border uhmv flex a bit causing scraper blade bolt to expand initial hole, after several hit bolts seems to be loose and finally the head of the bolt perforate remaining material causing the blade to unhook to the blower. We use standard blower with 1.5" thick UHMV, 2" prevent some snow to load into the blower leaving pile at the end.
    Paul in your video we can see that before replacing the blade one shoe was inside the blower and the other outside, after replacing the blade both was put inside but I suggest you to put both outside. Its a good way to protect border and blocks from scratch that can turn into rust in the spring, it also can absorb a part of eventual impact.

11. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Some times we will install them on the outside, but often when they do catch a wall it will ripe it off, when we install them on the inside we never loose them.
    Most of our blowers the cutting edge is still attached the old way like you and Steve describe. I hear what you are saying, a quick fix to your problem is to weld a 1/2 inch square bar right behind your poly cutting edge. This will really protect the bolts from being pulled through. See picture.

closeup of square bar.jpg

12. MRHORSEPOWER1

MRHORSEPOWER1 Member

1/2" square bar is a great idea. Pronovost blower has flat end sides; Normand has angled sides which works best to install poly skid shoes on outside to flush straight across without worrying about ripping it off. It was Steve's idea to install that way. Thanks for the picture showing about square bar mounting on bottom of blower.

13. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

So is that how your edges come, with the notch pre made? Or do you make the notch yourselves?

What would the notch dimensions be roughly? Looks like about 1/2 inch of material left to sandwich between the blower structure and the metal plate.

14. serafii

serafii Senior Member

paul im in the montreal area and im actually looking for some black 3/8 UHMW. any idea where i can get it?

15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

see attached pics

I will have to check with my brother.

tef1.jpg

tef2.jpg

tef3.jpg

16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

and these two pictures

17. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

That answers the questions, thanks!

18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Ops forgot the pics.

tef4.jpg

tef5.jpg

19. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

How much does UHMW plastic go for? I have a customer that we are doing a clean up for that has many 4x8, 1 - 2" thick sheets of it that he wants gone.

20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Wow depends on the quality, and I am no expert to be able to tell you, but each sheet can go from $800 to $1500.