1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deicing Culverts

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Makato, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Makato

Makato Junior Member

Living in Twin Mt. NH, most drives are crush-pack/ledge-pack or whatever you want to call it. The all have culverts running under the drives especially those higher in elevation. I'm looking for suggestions on keeping the culverts clear of ice damns.
    Last winter was tough with the continuous thaw and freeze situation. The ice just built over the weeks.
    Last year I tried calcium chloride putting several scoops in the in-flow each week. To no avail, they froze solid and there were several situations when the snow melted off that created potential washouts of the drives.
    I was looking for Cal. Chloride blocks that would disolve slow over time but there doesn't appear to be a product out there.
    Anyone have experience with keeping culverts clear over the winter????????? I could use some solid suggestions/methods.

Thanks....Makato

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

What size culvert?

3. Makato

Makato Junior Member

18" and 15".

4. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You may try 50lb salt blocks but with a freeze/thaw cycle you are describing, not much is going to stay put and work without getting washed away.

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

How about bigger culverts, they seem like they may be too small.