1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

deicer or sander?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mr hydroseed, Sep 26, 2005.

1. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

I'm about to invest in a sander/salt spreader or a liquid deicer. those of you with experience with a liquid deicer, i was wondering if i could get away with using a deicing system rather than a sand/salt spreader? if i do go with a spreader, how many of you use straight salt? why or why not? thank you. I'm bidding an indoor soccer club that has no gutters and drains all of it's water near the entrance. i remember some years there being several of inches of ice on the sidewalk leading to the entrance because of dripping roof lines. I'd prefer to use liquid but if it's not going to work as well as rock salt than i will use both systems.

2. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

okay, thanks for the input.

Anybody want to help me out here?

3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Try a search. There is lots of good info. We never used salt and went straight into liquids. Snow out here is different , and ice prevention is different. If you are currently using salt, you likely cannot replace it completely with liquid. But liquid can be used as a pre-treat which saves lots of work. One penn company I know uses liquid as a pre-treat, then does mid-storm treatment with salt. Then finishes with liquid on the trouble spots.

4. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

you should use both if you can. pretreat liquid around any bad areas and then after the storm throw down rock salt or even better treated rock salt, i did this last year and it worked great.