1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

deicer on snow

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by turfguy, Jan 7, 2003.

1. turfguy

turfguy Member

I am new to using deicers and I have several customers with a serious ice\snow buidup on walkways . temp is around 25 at night and 35 during the day.what product will work best to help reduce the buildup on these areas . Ice thickness is about 1 inch and scraping\backblading has been no help... any ideas??
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What has worked for me on my steps is to make a little hole in the ice to the surface, then pour coated deicer or liquid deicer in the hole. As the ice melts the deicer spreads under the ice, making it easier to break up. I also pour on the treated salt while the steps are bare (these are wooden steps). The excess then soaks into the wood, resulting in a residual effect making it easier to shove off the next snow buildup.

Does this help for your situation?
  3. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

calcium chloride pellets should work well on that. If it dosn't melt it all it will help break it up atleast so you can scape it up. Calcium will work at lower temps than rock salt and is also less harmfull on concrete.
  4. Brian Akehurst

Brian Akehurst Junior Member

Use Magic Salt!