1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deicer on asphalt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In another thread, I had suggested that a person consult with the company that had recently laid a parking lot before putting salt on it. I "remembered" reading that asphalt should "cure" for a year before putting any deicer on it, but can't remember where I'd read it. I just went to the Asphalt Instute webpage and learned that:

"Research has proven that well-designed and well-constructed asphalt pavements are not damaged by sodium and calcium chloride salts used for ice and snow control. The same is true for calcium magnesium acetate (CMA), which is often used as an alternative to road salt.

References include:

Performance of Asphalt Pavements Subjected to De-Icing Salts, B.F. Kallas, Highway Research Record #24, 1963.

Effects of Calcium Magnesium Acetate on Pavemetns and Motor Vehicles, D.S. Slick, Transportation Research Record #1157, 1988."

My question is: How can you tell if a driveway is "well-designed and well-constructed"? It seems I read the one-year guide on PlowSite last year or so, but can't find it. Anyone else do this or is this something I dreamed? Although we don't use salt around here now, it's still something I'm planning for the future and want to have my advice be sound.

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Mick, it is a prettty well established fact that it is best to wait one year before using deicers on new concrete surfaces.
    I never heard of it in regards to asphalt.

~Chuck

3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 25, 2002
  4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Put salt on it and see how well it holds up? :D

Actually, that's not as much of a wisecrack as it might seem at first. If it *is* damaged by salting then logic would seem to dictate that it was not "well-designed and well-constructed". Then it would seem to me that the property owner would have an issue with the paving contractor, not you.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would agree that, from the responses here and the source I quoted, salt is not likely to damage asphalt. However, my point is that I would have a hard sell introducing salt if I told my customers "Well, if there is damage, then it's the fault of the paving company - not me".

6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I wasn't suggesting that be part of your sales pitch. I wouldn't even hint at there being a potential problem, because, in fact (if it is "well-designed and well-constructed"), there's not.

If the customer expresses that as a concern though, now you can refer to the standard that if it's "well-designed and well-constructed", it won't be a problem. And if later there appears to be a problem you have that standard to refer to in defending your use of salt.