1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deflectors?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trustyrusty, Dec 3, 2012.

1. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

What percentage of you guys run deflectors? In the picture threads I see some bare plows but a lot of plows with rubber deflectors. The poly deflectors don't seem to be too popular.

When I started plowing 8 years ago the Western straight plow I bought had a very super heavy rubber deflector. I found that in wet, heavy snow instead of allowing the snow to roll it would come up under the heavy deflector and just stop, then as is built up the plow would start to ride up on the snow and I would leave a layer on the ground, especially when pushing straight. I finally took it off and have had a lot better luck without it.

However, I see so many guys running them that I wonder if maybe mine was just too heavy, and a lighter on would be a good idea. I do know for sure that you can't go as fast without it.

Input, anyone?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It would depend on how often you are plowing wet heavy snow vs light and fluffy.
    And some blades need a deflector mor than others. Old school Fisher wasn't bad but the XV needed the deflector badly. IMO....

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I run deflectors on both plows, some of the drives I do require a little bit of speed to get up them. In heavy snows they have to be plowed from the top down, you just can't push the heavy stuff up some of the hills here with a truck.
    Building contractors used to hire me to do subdivision roads before they were assumed by the Town, and if you got going a good speed you couldn't see anything through what ended up on your windsheild, the deflectors helped with that. Otherwise it just felt painfully slow.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i had the super heavy deflector you speak of on a 8 foot western. i then went to a much lighter material and am very happy with it. there is a picture of it here - see thread number 89 on page number 5.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=91106&page=5

in fact, i still have a roll of it around and will sell you a peice cheap. PM me if interested. i got more pics somewhere too...

5. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

If you plow over 10mph they are a good idea! I wouldnt own a blade without one! Thumbs Up

6. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i saw one, i think on a city plow, that was hard plastic that curled down. it looked interesting. has anyone used this type of thing?

7. birddseedd

I would be interested.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Most defiantly......I plow roads, parking lots and a few resi's. My Meyer came with a 6" poly deflector and I went to a 12" rubber deflector to deal with the blow over from plowing roads up to 20-25mph.

9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I've never run one before this year.

I'll let you know how it works out... if we ever get any snow. Everyone says they don't ever go back once you've owned one.... so we'll see.

BTW, your freaking avatar is really disturbing and I can't help but think you have kids that are Meth heads.

[​IMG]

10. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

I agree. Deflectors are a must have if you do any large size lots. Keeps snow from blowing over the plow onto your windshield.

11. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I have them on both my plows, get a real thick piece of rubber, I don't trust those molded ones.

12. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Don't run them on our Blizzards ... just don't seem to need them. We plow parking lots though. I'm sure plowing roads & maybe long drives would probably warrant one.

13. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

I hope you're smart enough to realize that isn't a real photo of me, LOL!

14. birddseedd

thats a really pretty truck