1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deflector

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by micojj, Oct 29, 2012.

1. micojj

micojj Junior Member

Looking to put a deflector on my 8.2 V XT. I was just going to buy some belting and cut it to fit. I can make the metal bars as I am a metal fabricator. How thick of belting should I use and how wide?

2. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

too thin and it will flap in the wind. 5/8 if you can get it? know anyone at a gravel pit? they can hook you up with old conveyor belt material.

3. micojj

micojj Junior Member

I actually have an old conveyor belt. I am thinking it is 1/2". How wide should I cut the strips and what size is the middle peice?

4. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  5. micojj

micojj Junior Member

Thank you IC-Smoke. That helps alot! Although your dimensions are different from what the link states. I did check on my belting and it is only 5/16" thick. I noticed alot of the aftermarket deflectors are only 5/16". Will that work or will it be too thin?

6. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

The dealer put the deflector on, Once I got hand of it I shortened where the center was attached to the side flaps because when you went down the road the flap would flip up:dizzy:

I just measured both the boss flap and the $70 kit flap I purchased for my meyer straight blade. both are 5/16 but the aftermarket one on the meyer is extremely flimsy vs the boss one. I had to put straps down the meyer one because it would flap in the wind like a flag.

[​IMG]

7. micojj

micojj Junior Member

Checked out the belting that I have and it seems extremely stiff. I think I will try it. Can always change it out if I have too much problem. Thanks again for all the info.