1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deflector question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by joeco129, Nov 17, 2007.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I have a 8' ultramount straight blade, no deflector... I will be doing more commercial plowing this year and would guess having a deflector will improve plowing, correct?

What are your recommendations as per cost and what works best... Steel, rubber or poly? What should I expect to pay for each?

Thanks

2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Get the deflector, unless you like cleaning off your windshield every pass. I don't know why they don't come with it honestly. :dizzy: Its a money thing I'm sure. payup

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

yeah get the rubber deflector. I did not have one last year and I always had snow buildup on my wiper blades. This year I have the deflector but it hasnt snowed yet so i have not experiance with it yet.

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I have never had one on it the 5yrs that i,ve been plowing...But you do get snow on the windshield if you go too fast...And this year I think i may try it out and see how much of a differnce it makes..:nod:

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A deflector can make a world of difference as far as visibility goes.... if the snow is really dry or your speed is too fast it will still come over the deflector but they definitely help.

Most guys prefer rubber over plastic.

I'm actually surprised the plow manufactures don't consider them as a safety feature do to the increased visibility they offer and make them a standard item.

6. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly my thoughts B&B. You wont ever go without one now that you have one in my mind. They should come standard with deflectors though for sure.

7. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Any comments or thoughts about the steel deflectors or foil as I have heard them called?

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

all I can say is that the plastic ones are junk! When I had one on my plow, I had to take it off and flip it over after every snow becasue by the end of plowing and stacking wet snow, it folds back and it worthless. Don't know about the steel ones, but I would say the rubber one is the best "all around deflector". If you touch a garage door with the rubber, no dents, just get out a rag and a can of adhesive remove if you really got it and it's gone.