1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deflector Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Aug 30, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I am beginning to line my work up for the coming season.I just landed a small lot 60yds long 2 car lengths wide.I have another commercial site, a machine shop the rest I plan on doing residential.My question is I have a 7.5 Myers without a deflector will it make a big difference in time/performance with a deflector vs without considering the type of work I will be performing.Yes, if I get more commercial jobs with a longer run I would purchase ,however, the price I was quoted was 269.00 not installed.Thoughts on this please. I thought this was sort of high but I maybe wrong.Dave.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I wouldn't bother with anything like that. I don't have any deflector and I plow one over a half mile. I get some blown up on the windshield if it's light and fluffy when I first drive in and drop the plow straight at about 10 mph. After that, I'm only going maybe 4-5 mph, fully angled, and the snow gets rolling pretty good. I just don't think you'll ever get going fast enough to worry about it. If you'll be pushing sraight for any length of time, you may want a deflector to keep it from coming up and over the plow.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

$265.00 are they kidding . either get a peice of old conveyer belt
    or look on ebay i think you can one for around $50.00

they do work well when plowing long runs.

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Remember in heavy snow they can cause your plow to ride up.
    They also can cause over heating issues as well when running blade up. I did a few paved roads and large lots the deflector kept me from having to stop from white out conditions. One road was a service road for the Oasis on the local tollway, so I averaged around 30mph.
    I would say no dont get one for your use.
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Don;t spend the $$ for the deflecter (snofoil type thing) buy a rubber belt and make it that way. You can buy the rubber belt kit from Northern tool for alot less.

If your truck overheats with the belt on you have cooling problems with the truck- the belt should not cause enough air deflection to overheat the truck a sno-foil will.

I plow without one and have for ever (bought the foil never installed it- have the belting for this upcoming season) it's nice to have one for the simple safety of keeping the snow off the winshield. (been whited out a few times)

Do you need it- no. Would I recomend the belt one- yes. would you suffer for not having it based on what you said your route will be- not at all. It's useless in resi work anyway.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Without a snow deflector the snow will stream into your grill.
    Been there, done it! The snow will pack up on your grill and the truck will over heat!
    Anytime the snow is dry and light it will clog your grill when you get a long push going. It's worth the money.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have never had that happen. had it spray the winshield, but never clog my grill
  8. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

the problem with the metal snofoils is that the bend and dent if you hit a hard/ice bank, or a bump into something like a small tree.
    Rubber flaps are nice cuz they keep snow off your windshield
  9. MickiRig1

It just happens with deep,dry snow at higher speeds. Like street plowing and long runs in a big parking lot. The spillage over the top streams into the grill.
  10. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

Another option would be a couple of old tires. I have seen deflectors made out of the tread portion of old tires. I think it looks strange but its cheap.
  11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just bought a new mold board and a new deflector it was a poly something or other type and I paid 160.00 installed. They are easy to install but I have no time (due to fall clean ups) But yeah almost 3 bills that seems too high.
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

That is a wonderfully slow pace, how do you manage? :) After I left Vermont the pace picked up quite a bit, time is money, I end up plowing my lots at 12mph, I'd go faster but like what was said, the snow rolls over the top and covers the windshield. RoosterTails are fun.
  13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I manage very well, thank you. Really, I don't get in a hurry and take time for those little extras, as long as I don't have to get out of the truck :D . I routinely stop and talk to customers who are out when I'm there. Not everyone up here is like that, though. I talk to guys who are just ramming and jamming. Last year I even tried to interest some guys in coming by my office where I keep coffee on, but they "couldn't take the time". On the other hand, one guy I know has been through two engines in the past two years and another threw three transmissions. Then complain "there's no money in plowing". "No S---."
  14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

ooh coffee, I'll be there in ...14hours keep it warm :D
  15. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have a Boss 9'2" poly V plow with a snow deflector. Where we plow we have light dry snows. We also do large lots. I wouldn't have a plow without a deflector. We have problems with snow, dirt, rocks, etc., etc. on the hood and windshield as it is. I would hate to see it without the snow deflector. Yea, we probably plow a little fast, but in 5 years we have never tore up the pickup or the plow. As a matter of fact, the plow still looks pretty much brand new besides the poly fading a little.
  16. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I use a piece of mine belt on all three of my plows, and a flat strap of steel bolted on to the mold board. Anyone who pays full price for a maufacturers deflector is crazy.
  17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I like have them, never had a plow without one so I guess I dont know whats like.
  18. wddodge

wddodge Member

I plow mostly restaraunt sized lots with a couple of bigger ones thrown in. My opinion on a deflector is that if I'm going so fast that snow hits the windshield, I really need to slow down a bit. So what if it takes me 10 minutes longer to finish a lot if I don't break anything in the process. It takes a lot longer to weld a frame than to slow down a bit.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i would never plow with out an deflector it helps alot. :waving:
  20. MickiRig1

I had one made out old steam tractor implement drive belt and some flat stock. The belt was made of leather,when it got soaked it stood straight up.