1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deflector material/ where to buy ???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Indy, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I want to keep spray and snow off my windshield with deflector.

Not sure where to buy the materials.

Any ideas??? Thanks for the help!!:salute:

For 7-6" boss superduty

Mike C
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

know dunam rubber and belting sells bulk !
  3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

ebay.........just do a search under "snow plow"
  4. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I get mine from a brick plant for free. they use a lot of conveyor belts, and replace them every so often, and the old ones normally hit the trash. they aren't beautiful, but work just as well
  5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

WB, I just came from Dunham and they wanted to order it and it was going to be $100 just in rubber, I am hoping to do better maybe half that:salute:
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i've had this on my plow for 3 seasons now. it sees 55 driveways per storm and about 7-10 storms a season. it does a great job and shows no signs of wear after all this use. i have a whole roll of the stuff. email me if interested, i'll sell whatever length you need cheap. let me know if you want additional pics. linckeil@hotmail.com
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Like Rocnroll said---used conveyor belting.Go to a rock quarry or gravel bank and say please---they'll probably just give it to you. Works great.

KINNCO Senior Member

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

How is that mounted on there sir. How much are you asking per foot.payup
  10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Do you have any kind of farm supply or rock quarry near you??? most of the time they just give away the old conveyor belting they use.
  11. harley9202

harley9202 Junior Member

I just used a piece of old conveyor belt, flat stock and some 3/8" nuts and bolts. Works great. Cost about $15 total.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

search ebay for rubber plow deflector, you'll see hundreds of ads.
  13. Indy

Indy Senior Member

That's my kinda math!!!:salute:
  14. linckeil

from CT

there is a piece of 1" wide flat stock running the length of the plow (8 foot) with a few bolts sandwiching the deflector between the flat stock and the lip of the plow. when mounting it up, i secured it all to the plow with a few vise grips, than drilled the holes and ran the bolts through. thats all there is to it.
    i'll sell a 6-7.5 foot length for $25 and a 8-9 foot length for $30.
    email me if interested or if you want more pics/info. linckeil@hotmail.com
  15. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Linckeil, the stuff you have, do you have any trouble with it flipping back or blocking air flow to the radiator?????

That is my concern, that it isn't stiff enough.

Mike C:rolleyes:
  16. linckeil

from CT

when traveling 50 mph down the road the flap rises to a level slightly higher than that of it being parellel to the road surface (if that makes sense). it comes no where near flapping back over the plow and i don't think i could force it to do that even if it tried. i don't see that causing any over heating issues when traveling at speed. it certainly doesn't for me, but i replaced the clutch fan setup on my truck with a direct mechanical setup that spins at engine speed regardless of tempature, so my truck wouldn't get hot if it had a 4x8 sheet of plywood in front of it.....
  17. yancy

yancy Senior Member

If you are near a rural area you could try to find someone with a round baler and get some used belting off of those. Thats what we have works really good for FREE! saves on the payup

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  19. linckeil

from CT

i've had a couple of emails from people. as i told them, i am shipping lengths up to 9 feet for $5 anywhere in continental US. my stuff is 3/16 inch thick. not as thick as the ebay auction posted above, but why have the extra thickness if you don't need it? its not gonna cost you the more to get it to your door than the material itself as is the case with the above ebay auction. keep the emails coming if anyone else is interested. thanks. linckeil@hotmail.com
  20. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Deflector Material

I went by a sand and gravel/Concrete company today and asked I they had any waste conveyor belt. The guy was super nice and gave me a ride out to the yard and he had large strips already cut in a pile and gave me one that was 12" x about 20 feet, It looked pretty rough but I took it by a .25$ car wash and gave it a blast and one side has some dings in it, the other will be face up and good to go.

Turns out the guy has a Boss plow with wings and new exactlly what I was looking for........he said he could charge me but didn't.

Bolts and flat stock and I will be good to go.

Thanks for the suggestions and support!!:salute: