1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deflector Hardware Question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bltp203, Jan 19, 2008.

1. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Hey guys, I am putting on a homemade deflector on my 8' poly. I was hoping someone with a boss deflector could answer a couple of questions.

1.) Size of steel strap that bolts on top.
    2.) Size of bolts.
    3.) How many bolts to use.

Any help would be great.

2. Stankonya

Stankonya Junior Member

I used a inch and a half strip of diamond plate and put half inch bolts about every foot

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I got a vee blade with a boss delector and the top straps are about a inch and a half by 3/16 thick. They gave me hardware that is I think 3/8s? or 7/16s?. Either on of those you'll be happy. Just place them apart about every foot.

4. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

What are you using for rubber? Whered you get it and how much?
  5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

3/16x 2 flat stock 3/8x1 1/4 grade 8 bolts one about every foot 1/2x12"3ply belting dunam rubber we buy 60 ft at a time .
  6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Thanks for all the help guys.

I got the belt off ebay. I think its simple conveyer belt material. I picked it up for $20.00. Sure is a lot cheaper then buying one from Boss for $182.00. It cost me $20.00 for the steel and another $20.00 for nuts, bolts, washers, a drill bit and a can of spray paint.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1/2 in bolts... must like over kill. :D

The factory Boss deflectors use 5/16" X 1 3/4" bolts..usually 8 to 12 depending on blade size and a 2" wide strap.
  8. Stankonya

Stankonya Junior Member

I was guessing didnt feel like going outside