1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deflector a must?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by CJSLAWNSERVICE, Oct 30, 2009.

CJSLAWNSERVICE Senior Member

just as the title says, is a deflector a must? I have never used a plow with one before, and yes sometimes the windshield gets covered.... but I would like to set up my new plow right! 8.2 V-xt . what do you all think? 150.00 for the kit
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

For me it's a must-have. I don't know how people plow without them to be honest.
  3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Definately worth it. You don't know what you're missing until you have one. BIG TIME difference.
  4. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I never used a plow with one if you ask me and lots of guys on here and on the street don't use them either
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

If it says anything, I often run trucks in my fleet that I flip/resell. If they don't have a deflector, I put one on, even if we only use the truck 1 or 2 times. I honestly don't know how some guys go without for so long.
  6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

i have always used them but i know they help especially if you dont have a tall blade with a good attack angle
  7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I have one and think its a must have as well. The firs year I had my plow I didnt have a deflector and it was terrible.
  8. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I have one on my 7'6" straight and I love it, you still get a little on the windsheild with high speed pushing (school lots, ect.) but it's worth the money!
  9. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

Think of it as a feature to enhance the curl at the top of the plow to keep snow from flying on your windshield. I have used them on both of my plows and I have no complaints. They have also come on the plows that I bought, but from my experience I think they are great.
  10. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

Do it up. Well worth it
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Man,I better get into the 21st century. I don't have smartlocks or a snow defector and hold my handheld controller.
  12. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

It will look like this and I wouldn't have a plow without it.

13. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

i noticed a big difference expecially when doing long passes with speed. Less snow blowing up onto the windsheild.
  14. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

you don't always have to buy one, you could make one with old rubber and bolts... I'm sure other guys have done it before and will chime in on there way of custom making themwesport
  15. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

I didn't want to pay the dealer price so I will be fabbing one and installing it myself. I had a fisher 8 1/2" Xblade on my last truck and often was plowing just by looking out the side windows on the long, private roads. Not to mention the windshield fogging and cleaning off. If you don't want to pay the Boss price you can use rubber or conveyor belt - sells for about $40 on ebay.
  16. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I wouldnt even think of plowing without a deflector. I plow some lanes that are close to a half mile long. Between your ground speed and sometimes the wind, without a deflector the snows back on the windshield.

I made the deflector on my V. Great thing is the instructions are available on the Boss Website and actually show the sizes to cut the belt, as well as the hardware required!

I have about 20 bucks in this deflector..

Next years project is a set of extensions...:cool:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  17. saldana17

saldana17 Junior Member

I put a deflector on imediately. Only mine was from the Implement Dealer. I installed a 90" x 8" x 3/8" belt that would be
    used on farm machinery. Minimal cost with great results.

94 Blazer - Boss plow
  18. ROsborne

ROsborne Junior Member

I installed mine a couple of weeks after. Especially after going through 4 sets of wipers. I installed it and never had to change the wipers again.
  19. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

fullsize blazer? lets see a pic
  20. saldana17

saldana17 Junior Member

I sold my 89 with the western and don't have photos.
    I just bought a Boss RT3 7 1/2 feet with a smarthitch.
    Will be putting one on shortly. I had to drill holes in the top
    of the blade and I have a belt drill bit for drilling hole that involve
    cloth in the belting. Learge frnder washers on top with 1/4 inch
    stainless bolts and locking nuts. Will post a photo.