1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deere 6R tractors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by South Paw, Oct 4, 2013.

1. South Paw

South Paw Junior Member
    from Ontario

Does anyone have any experience with the new John Deere 6r tractors? Specfically with the IVT transmission. I have 3 6030 series Deeres now with power quads and I'm looking at upgrading to a new 6105 R tractor with IVT.

There are pros and cons to both, defiantly the IVT con is the price. The tractor would be rented for about a month in the summer for hay, and my company will be doing loader chores and brush mowing with it in the off season.

Primary use for tractor will be snow blowing with approx. 300 plus hours per snow season. Mixture of long rural residential lanes and medium commercial lots, often with deep drifting snow. It will be fitted with an H340 self-leveling loader for scraping, stacking and push backs and an inverted Normand N102-310 snowblower.

I realize these tractors are still very new for North America, although they have proven themselves in Europe. So if anyone has any input on them; good or bad, please share. Thanks in advance.
  2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

sounds neat, never seen one at a dealer yet, must be a big model! We have 360hrs on our 2009 JD 4720 lol, i wish i blew snow 300hrs a season haha
  3. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

The IVT has been around for a while now in several different models. I have had zero issues with it in my 6430, know lots of guys around here with 3000+ hours on theirs and have had no issues. The IVT is a dream to run works great for blowing, I would have a hard time going back to my auto quad. Dont know much about the new R's the emmisions stuff scares me away.
  4. South Paw

South Paw Junior Member
    from Ontario

So far this season have logged close to 300 hrs ON 6115R.

Pros; -cab ergonomics and command arm layout, are excellent
    - tls suspension has been flawless, has 3 modes which you can tailor to your needs. defiantly need the suspension for over 40 km/h, absorbs bumps well and reduces fatigue, also helps reduces tractor rocking side to side when pulling snow.
    - 50 km/h a welcome and needed asset, has cut down on cycle times and increased amount of lanes we can service in a 6 hour time frame. Althgh with extremely close routes, like some tractor/blower contractors have, I don't believe the suspension and transmission upgrade would offset the costs of it, as in subdivision you a not usually traveling over 40 km/h.
    -IVT transmission, IMO is the most ideal for snow contractors, yes it would be tough going back to the mechanical trans. IVT is similar to driving an automatic, clutching is virtually eliminated, especially important when pulling onto the road with a lot of snow, just dial the lever back, no more riding the clutch. Another important feature is the ability to separate pto rpm from wheel speed, meaning you can run the pto at full rpm without having to go at a slower ground speed, because of this its much harder to clog the blower chute with snow.
    -Intelligent power management for increased h.p., tier 4 engine is very responsive, service points are easy to check, better visibility and lighting than its predesscer the 6030 series.

- New tier 4 compliance requires lower levels of NOx oxides omitted, therefore along with the egr, now have an integrated exhaust filter, to contain these oxides. Because of this if you allow these new engines to idle low rpms, building up carbon, there will an increased chance you will have to a parked regeneration. The tractor sits idle for a period of half an hour to 45mins at high rpms to burn off these oxides. After 300 hrs, this only happened once, however a lot of the filter cleaning happens automatically so you don't have to worry about it. To avoid this keep engine rpms slightly increased to burn off oxides when idling.
    -bigger fuel tank and increased fuel consumption compared to 6030 tractors
    -unlocking the brakes on an IVT tractor, doesn't have the same affect as mech. trans. tractor. You have to slow ground speed to be able to turn with the loader pushing snow or trying to make a sharp turn to one side.
    -Loader joystick is equipped with a safety latch which is very sensitive
    -tier 4 engines imo start harder in cold weather, IVT has to meet a certain temp. before it can be moved, however this is to protect it from premature wear, not more than 10 mins after sitting for a week in -20C daytime high.

Overall excellent tractor, very responsive, maneuverable, comfortable to operate and see out of, excellent ride quality and power to weight ratio. IVT I believe will become more popular in the coming years as demand for them increases, price will become more affordable for snow contractors.
  5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I have 3 Case Puma CVT's, would never go back to a power shift, especially since we use our blowers a lot.
    Case went a little different route with the tier 4 and don't use a filter, so regen is never a problem, and my CVT tier 4 the decrease in fuel consumption more then off set the cost of DEF.
    I also rent the tractor for hay work in the summer, the CVT is awesome for forage harvester or mower work, constant PTO speed, independent of ground speed.
    CVT's are super for blower work, again constant PTO speed with ground speed, variable to slower then a walk, yet change from reverse to forward and go as fast as you want.
    50 KPH transmission is also worth the extra.
    Case CVT's also require a warm up in cold weather, speed is limited till a certain trans temp is reached, simple solution is the trans heater, plug it in, and it's a non issue, the engine is no different then a non def starts everytime no heater

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014