1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deer Damage

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by thedeersmacker, Nov 16, 2008.

1. thedeersmacker

thedeersmacker Junior Member

. . . so last night the Wife and I are driving home from Bowler , and about seven miles from the house . . . . .and then , from the corner of my eye I see it a . . . full-sized deer running out onto the highway. So , I jam on the binders as fast as I can , but I see the deer coming close and then . . . . . . WHAMMO ! ! ! :dizzy: We see the brown mass bounce up and over the plow blade and into the other ditch .
    After stopping and looking for said deer for ten minutes , ( either the impact was so tremendous that it flew into the field parallel to the road , or it got up and ran away . . . . ) I got back into the Beast and we drove home . Upon inspection , no damage came to the Western plow ( Thank goodness I was lazy and didn't take it off before we left :nod: ) but now the angle of tilt is different . The adjustment bolts look untouched , so I am wondering if perhaps the mounting points are shifted .

Has anyone ever hit a deer with their plow ?!?! Any input would be greatly appreciated .
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Could have been much worse. Are you sure it different or are you just looking for something to be wrong with it? There isnt any adjustment on a western plow that I am aware of.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

truck frame bent?
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

You better not have hit that thing near my hunting land, (wittenberg) near bowler, otherwise your plow will be the least of your concerns :gunsfiring:
  5. thedeersmacker

Nah , it was seven miles from Marshfield on 97 by Cty trunk C . No , the truck fram was not bent , but it looks the pivot pin on the bottom of the assembly is bent , bu that should be a ten dollar fix . . . . nothing else seems very damaed .
  6. thedeersmacker

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Holy typo's Batman ! !
  7. TLB

TLB Senior Member

The insurance companies in our area would ask if you have a separate policy for the plow being it is not factory installed.

Good luck, let us know what they say.
  8. thedeersmacker

Well it's not an insurance issue . . . everyhing works just fine , the raise / lower and the left / right pivot are both o.k. . . . . I t seems I just need to re-adjust the angle of the blade and then all will be well .
  9. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Thank God u had that plow on your ride! That could have been your aassss!

10. thedeersmacker

:eek: I know ! I was going to take it off before we went on the trip , but something told me I should leave it on . I am very glad I listened to it . That's not the first time that following a hunch has kept my butt out of a sling !It would have been verybad , since we have no brush guard on de truck . . . .
  11. siewertenterpri

siewertenterpri Junior Member

snowplows make great bumpers. I had two deer slide off mine and a Fed Ex delivery truck that slid threw a stop sign.
  12. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Damn, you're lucky the plow was on.

As for the plow. I assume you mean when you lift the plow one side is higher. If so try putting the plow on the pavement(while attached to the truck). Push down on the area where the top of the chains are connected to get some slack. And add one link between the connector and plow on the higher side of the plow. Don't do anything on the other chain. Now start the truck, lift the plow and see how it looks now.
  13. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I hit one last year with my plow on. Thank God it was small, flew about 30 feet off the road, and did no damage to the plow or truck, just some hair stuck to the plow. Never did find the deer.
  14. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

I found the deer, it is in the bed in the back of your truck.