1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

deep snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diesel dave 04, Feb 18, 2010.

1. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

Ok where i am we got hit by 18 inches of good lite snow then 5 days later we got smacked with 26 inches of heavy/ wet snow. what I found was once the snow was as tall as my V blade on each side of a drive way the V didnt help much cause it still piled up infront cause it couldnt go off the sides. WHAT do you do in this case??
    I just kept working my way through then made 40 trips in and out to make it wider.
    what a PITA I really hink a 7.5 foot snow blower would have been faster in this deep of snow.
    well lets here your input. I have know idea where im going to put snow if we get any more.
    But so far the payup been great.

2. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Plow with the storm when it's that big. Even if you have to make multiple trips to the same property.

3. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

You should just pay me to trailer a couple machines over to you and i will take care of it all.:D

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

raise your plow a like 6" off the ground and kick the wing out to its widest position then pull it back a lil bit. drive as close to the edge of the driveway as possible and you can knock back the accumulation further into the lawn. this should buy you a bit of time and allow you to put more snow there. we have 9'2" blades so its a bit easier. if the ground is hard enough drive with that sides tires on the lawn. sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

If the ground next to the drive is reasonably flat and the ground is frozen, yo can do as protouch says but even drive a few feet off the drive with your blade up and angled to wing back your windrow like the city plows do with wing blades to create clearance.

You want to have this room ready BEFORE a big storm next time though.

6. diesel dave 04

Thanks for the replys so far, I will try this. The thing is i need to make sure i knock the top back before the next storm or It will pile up infront and i will be in a mess.

7. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Plan ahead, make more room than you need, plow with the storm, don't be late.

Or just hide.

:D

8. diesel dave 04

I do plow with the storm. we got 26 inches in 12 hrs I hit each drive way 2 times some 3 times but we had to keep up with are lots also. the one is 3 acers that is prety big for a small truck. The small truck is good for the driveways but no so good in a big lot with a foot of heavy snow.

9. Westhardt Corp.

Plan "B"....hide.

:D

10. diesel dave 04

half way through that storm I felt like just quiting and hidding. but i kept at it. now they say there is a big storm coming in early march. over 3 foot i hope this melts off by then Or you may find me hidding under a rock some where.

11. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

12. diesel dave 04

13. ajslands

Take it off in layers.

14. diesel dave 04

in powder i can do layers But wet snow packs and when i go to back up one tire spins and it is all over . The layer thing dont work for me. Maybe if i had chains. That brins up my next question. Do you guys that use chains ever get bitching from the owner about the marks left o the driveway?

15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Im not sure I understand the problem.... What I do on a short drive is pull in forward and pull all the snow away from the garage, down the drive and into the street. Then I push that pile into the front lawn whereever there is space. On a long drive I pull away from the garage about 2 truck lengths. Then I turn around, back in, and push it all into the street and push it into the lawn. It's not always on the corners of the drive. I put is whereever there is room.

16. Westhardt Corp.

I think he's dealing with long drives, and a lot of snow. There's only so much area to put it, and technique becomes critical at that point. And that will only get you so far, as well.

17. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Sounds like ur doing everything right, just put it to the boards and don't lift till it sounds expensive:eek:

18. ajslands

Most customers probaly wouldent like this but you could put up snow fencing, which will elimante drifts on the driveway and heavier amounts of snow on drive

19. diesel dave 04

What you are talking about worked fine for are first round that was 18 inches of fluff Kind of what you guys in northwest are useto But what happen the next 26 inch storm is the temp was 33-35 and the snow was heavy and wet. when this happens you cant back drag it just dont work. this crap you push it to the street then come back and it was un moveable I would have to ram it in a V to get it moving again.

20. lumps

lumps Senior Member

This is gonna come off sounding worse than I intend it, but this is what happens when people with little plows take on big accounts to try to make a buck. Sure, you're fine when you get 2-3" snowfalls, but the moment you get something big, you're screwed. Sorry if that comes off sounding rude, just my thoughts.

As to your question, I agree with the others above. Hopefully you know these driveways decently, and any obstructions that might be beside them. Lift your blade 6" or more, put your truck halfway on the grass, and shelf it off. And always push piles and windrows back as far as you can at the beginning of the season. It may seem silly on light years, but you'll be thankful when things like this hit!