1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deck Shoveling?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wesley's Lawn, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I have been thinking about this for a little while and i was wondering if any guys shovel of customers decks if they want it done. If course you wouldnt do this until you got all of you plowing done and the snow has stoped. I think it could be something alright for like older people who use there decks in the winter for whtever like using the grill and what not, just wondering what you guys think about it?
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

if you have clients that want it done,and are willing to pay for it, then go for it.
  3. ABM

ABM Junior Member

I do deck shoveling in my home maintenance business. Around here it is a good service more for the weight issues as opposed to the accessibility factor.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

the nails sticking up are a pain in the butt

but if im getting paid ill deal with it

5. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

decks often get shovelled around here because of the weight. Not something often hired out though because like you said its not a big rush to do so the home owner usually does it when they get a chance. Unless they are physically unable to shovel they do it themselves
  6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with you. Hate when that happen, seems to ruin your shovel.
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'll do just about anything the customer asks if they are willing to pay the fee. I did a couple decks this season for the weight issue, at one point they had 2' of snow on them. I use my small snowblower, which I use for roofs also. Since it's weight that's the concern and not access, I leave about 1" of snow as to not harm the roof or catch the scraper on raised nails.
  8. GoSlo

GoSlo Junior Member

What work great is the small toro s200 snowblowers. The rubber paddles don't hurt the wood or bother the nails. Cleans almost to bare wood.
  9. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

how about this, ya put a snow-blower in the back of ur truck, and when its all done, u get out and snow-blow. U save urslef the hassle of shoveling and u can add some wieght to ur truck, not to mention some........payup :D
  10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Not a bad idea, I wonder how many people would like this service!

Chuck B.
  11. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Good idea, but I'm not sure I'd bother. All my trucks carry rubber paddle driven blowers, but by the time I'd be ready to do it I'd be too tired. I did 65 hours during the "blizzard" and I had had enough. Now if I could pay some youngsters to do it and make a little for my pocket I'd consider it. My other thuoght is if you're mainly a residential contractor then why not. What about all the patio type items that will surly be in the way? Would you move it all around or would this be merely a path to the steps?
  12. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

If your a residential contractor its good way to make some money for not that much work.
  13. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

That's another reason to use deck screws