1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Decisions.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lumberjack4567, Feb 11, 2010.

1. lumberjack4567

lumberjack4567 Junior Member

Hey fellas, I was pondering getting into the snow removal business. The only current pieces of equipment I have are a Dodge sprinter 2500 (not very good in the snow) and an Ariens 926le (holds its own in the snow). If I was to start up next year, my good friend contracts out the landscaping/snow removal for his friend's strip malls. There are two of them. He would be willing to work with me on the contracts for both of them. At this point in time I am unsure as to the specifics of the contract or the price but i do know that it is well into the hundreds per visit. I will try and get some pictures up asap. Any additional equipment needed would be stored on site because I rent out part of one of the malls already. They economy sucks so bad that my business, a paint store, is not doing so hot and I need a means to make it through the winter.

I have about 15000 dollars to purchase equiptment. I was thinking about getting a Bobcat s175, or similar, then fashioning a pusher out of an old big tire. The tire route seems best because of the cheapness and productivity. The only problem then is a means to transport the damn thing. I would have to buy a truck and trailer and how much would that cost? Just thought I would get your opinion.

Another thought about the choice of machinery is reliability. I need something that I can depend time upon time to work which is why I was thinking the bobcat route instead of a truck. Correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure trucks are less reliable then a tractor or skid steer.

All input is appreciated.

Jack

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

my suggestion would be to work with your friend. if he has great contracts now there is really no reason for you to jump out there on your own. this way you get your feet wet and learn the way things need to be done. also his insurance could probably cover you as a subcontractor perhaps? if you focused on sidewalks with your blower and perhaps added something like an atv and a salter... im sure you could get a good amount of work.
    A skid is great, but to invest in only that would be hard unless you can get lots of work for it and then you would still have no backup at all. I would sit and talk with your friend who has these contracts, find out how you could maybe get some work from him. Sidewalks are good money, I still today look for properties with alot of sidewalks. No one wants to do them. Everyone wants to push in a truck. Good luck. there is lots of reading to do here.

3. lumberjack4567

lumberjack4567 Junior Member

I think you misunderstood. My friend is the guy who pays other people to do it. He is the guy that finds other people to do it for the landlord.

He is what you would call a perfectionist so he likes things done his way. That is why he gets to contract out the landscaping and snow removal.

Thanks for the input, though.

4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I think a truck would suite you much better because you can go from site to site much easier, and you can have many of the same problems with a skid as you would with a truck.