1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Decisions, Decisions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alan, Mar 16, 2000.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Right now I'm faced with 1-3" possible by morning, currently 28 deg. and falling. Under 1/2" on the ground right now, surface temps still above freezing. 5300 of salt in the V-box and ready to go. Debating whether to hit it now or let it build a bit more. If I go out I'll hit them all, both contract and per event, this is where I wish I had them all on contract, then the decision would be totally mine and not predicated on whether the per event customers will ***** if the storm fizzles and they get charged for a salting. Sometimes I wish there was a "Boss" to make these decisions for me

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I would wait till the pavement temp is just above 32 degrees. If you apply now the material will dilute out, and when it hits freezing it will ice up anyway.<br>By applying at 32 or lower you maximise the usefull ness of the deicer.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't do a total salt app very often, and this is one of the reasons why. This would be a very tough call for me to make, and i don't even want to think about doing it.<p>My advice is to get the plow on. Wait and see what happens, if ya get like 1.5-2&quot; and it's still comming down. Go plow and salt, the salt should take care of the last 1.5&quot; or more ( snow accumulations often run over the forcast). Now this may not sound correct to others, but this way you may have a chance to salt and plow ( which may mean more $$ but i am not sure), and you can't make a wrong call.<p>Geoff