1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kl0an, Apr 20, 2004.

1. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Got a line on a 76 GMC or Chevy 3/4 ton with a complete rebuild on the whole truck in the last three years.. Big heavy duty bumpers, flat black heavy metal type, has a roll bar with the strobe and lights mounted on it. I believe the plow is an older Fisher. The whole rig is in great shape, only problem is the price, the guy want's $4,200 for it.. This will be my first truck since plowing with other guys trucks last winter.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to what to look for on those old Chevy's?? How about on the old plows??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I realize I couldn't buy a new truck for this price and that this is basically a rebuilt truck.. Just want to hear what you guys think.

Paul

2. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

Look for rust anywhere and everywhere, and look for cracked frame near steering box.Check fluids for any metal flakes.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The nice thing about an older truck like this is if something does break, parts are cheap and easy to obtain.

Some people's ideas of a rebuilt truck are a little more complete than other's. Some people would say that a newer engine and tranny and a recent brake job are a completely rebuilt truck, I say no. Find out exactly what he is referring to as being rebuilt. Remember you are taking his word for it too unless he can produce receipts for it all, which if he was serious about the truck he would likely have everything.

Unless the truck is really spotless (and then who wants to plow with it?) it seems kind of pricey, especially with an 'older' plow. I paid more than that for my 82 4x4 dually but then it came with a boss vplow that was less than 5 years old, 'new' southern body, new leaf springs, alt, brakes, etc. etc. I knew how much he had into it too because it was someone I knew, and I paid about half of his investment.

It also depends on the local market. What else could you buy for that amount of money? What is the current price of decent '73-87 Chevy/GMC trucks in your area? Probably there aren't many. Look for rust in all the usual places, cab floor and rockers and corners, inner fenders where they mount to the cab, outers at the heel and lip.... hood along front edge and nose, rad support at frame mounts... lower doors in and out, vent window frames (leaky vent windows will eat your window tracks and lower doors), box outer above wheelwells and around taillights and fuel filler, underneath at cross braces and behind tailgate (most trucks have rust here) at the floor pan and in uprights behind taillights. Look at the frame in various areas, I have two here with frames with holes thru them the size of your fist. Steering box are is a favorite to go so check thoroughly... but note that it can be repaired and braced with aftermarket parts and may make a strong price drop warrented.

If the truck is lifted, look to see how. See what other aftermarket 'mods' are there. Why are they there? Has the truck been offroaded? Subject to abuse? Etc. etc.

There is a lot to look for in one of these trucks. The real final word is whether the truck suits your needs and how much are you willing to pay for it? If you think the plow is not what you want, offer less without it and buy what you want.

The choice is yours.... hopefully this post gives you a little bit to think about while you are there.

Good luck!

4. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Lots of good info there Derek, I really appreciate it. The guy has a book with almost $30,000 in receipts since he bought the truck in 95. He put a Goodwrench motor in it for like $3400.00, $1200 brakejob the day he bought it. $4000 in the paint alone.. On and on..

I just checked another truck, same year and it was a total wreck.. When the guy told me "It's not real pretty" holy cow, he wasn't kidding.. and this guy wanted $2200..

I've come to realize that the difference between night and day is about $2000.00..

I'm still kickin the tires on that nice one.. I don't think anyone is rushing to buy it but, the old guy is stubborn, he won't budge at all on the price..

Thanks again for the advice..