1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Decision Time,v Or Straight?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BASIC, Jul 10, 2003.

1. BASIC

BASIC Member

Hi guys,I know this question has been asked before(once by me)but I have to make a decision by August(my dealer said thats when he can give me the best price) on what plow to buy.This will be my first year plowing,I have a Ford F-350 4X4,Reg Cab,Diesel,Manual Trans,Single Rear Wheel,8' Bed,with about 114,000 Miles on it.I'll be doing mostly residential to start.I live in a part of New Jersey that gets the most snow in the stste,last year we got about 80".The plow plow brand will be a Western(great dealer).The choices I have are a V plow 8.5',straight Pro Plow 8'or Pro Plus Plow 8'.Western now has the option of a back drag blade for the Pro Plow(standard on the Pro Plus).From what I've read you all seem to favor the V plow,does this still hold true with the truck I have and my intended use?My dealer thinks for mostly residential is fine and that the V's benifit is seen in mostly commercial aplications,he also hasn't seen any problems with the V.Does the fact that Western now has a back drag blade available on therir straight blades factor in?Thankyou again for the help,BASIC.
  2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I will have to make the same decision . From what I can see the V isnt as durable as a straight plow and they weigh more . I think it may be over what the manufacturers want hung on the front of their trucks . The various configurations of the v plow is where it supposed to shine .
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I'll be the first to tell you that V plows don't back drag great. I will also be the first to tell you that no front plow will back drag as well as you would like it to. The condition of the pavement puts limitations on how well any plow will clear the surface, that goes for pushing and backdragging.

With that said, I would go for an 8.5' Western V. There's only 2 dealers up by you, and I know both of them. One, I know is top notch, and the other I have only dealt with twice, and they liked to jack up prices when they could. There is a third Western dealer, that is the only one I go to, but they are not in NW NJ, they are in Hackensack.

Even doing residentials, I would still go with the V plow. Like it was said before, a V plow can do everything that a straight plow can do, but a straight plow cannot do everything a V plow can do.

Just because you plan on doing only residentials, doesn't mean that is all you will be doing next year. Much like those who say they will only be plowing their own driveway, and end up doing 20 more the first year, and 50 the second.....

A straight plow allows you to move snow, either left or right, while a V plow will allow you to move all the snow ANY place on the property you want.

4. BASIC

BASIC Member

BWhite and Chuck,thanks for thr response.Chuck the dealer I've spoken to is Danforths,I've dealt with them on some small trailer parts and they seem real honest to me.thanks BASIC.
  5. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Basic, when you know which plow you want... call Danforths and get a price. Then call Van Dines in Hackensack, and West Chester Machinery in Newton. Compare prices. I can tell you now Van Dines and West Chester will be within a few dollars of each other, if not the exact same price....

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go with a straight blade.Less complicated,more reliable,and will do everything you want.Go with the Pro plus.Just my 2 cents.
  7. BASIC

BASIC Member

Chuck,I think West Chester is in Flanders.I feel some loyalty in supporting my area buisnesses.Danforths would be the one I'd go crying to if something went wrong while plowing.There open 24 hours during a storm,yhe other two are just to far.I would also expect Danforths to service plows bought from them sooner then those bought elsewhere.Thankyou though just the same
    wyldman.thanks for your response sir.I understand the V plow is more complicated in learning to use but I haven't heard anything bad about their reliability,what has been your experience?Thanks again,BASIC.
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have never owned a V-blade,but have driven many trucks with them on.I have also serviced and repaired many as well.I've used straight blades for almost 20 years,kinda find it hard to change to a V.

I have never found much of a benefit to a V for my application,and I can outplow most guys using a V with my straight blade.Only thing I find it better for is cleanup.Most of the V's I have tried have all been Boss units,which absolutely sucked for backdragging.They have Smartlock cylinders available to help,but I have never tried them.

The Western's and Fishers tend to bend and buckle a lot,but once beefed up some,they hold up OK.

I have seen very few hydraulic problems on the V's,mostly just dirty or frozen fluid due to lack of maintenance.

Your truck is a standard,and doing mostly residential.I think the straight blade would be easier to operate,and will be better for back dragging driveways.They are cheaper too.
  9. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

For years (too many to count at times :) )

I used a straight plow, This past winter I bought a new truck, and purchased a new Boss V-plow.

BEST money I spent so far, cut my time by 30% the first snow.

The lots I plowed were: a 24 hour grocery store, hotel and convention center.

I did sit and practice awhile in my driveway. A V-plow takes some getting used to, but I feel it was worth it.

10. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

I would go with a 8'6" V plow, you can do a lot of different stuff with a Vplow that you cant do with a straight Blade, True that a vplow doesnt plow long roads as good as a straight blade, but when it comes time to cleanup the end of a driveway or cleanup sections of a parking lot. In the long run the v plow is a better option. Just My two cents

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

SLC1 - just checked out your website link.Very nice professional website,good work.:)
  12. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Having plowed residential properties for the past 8 years I can appreciate how a straight blade does the job. This past winter when we replaced several trucks we bought three Boss v-blades, one for a residential route (8' 2") and two for commercial routes (9' 2"). This year we'll be buying two more v plows. Chuck is right that a straight blade won't work like a v blade, but a v blade will work like a straight blade.

This past winter was our first winter with v blades and we got a boat load of snow. There is increased training time for sure. The v blade isn't necessarily intuitive.

I found that someone new to a v blade tries too hard to use the scoop function too much. When plowing open areas of parking lot it's best to straight blade. The scoop position is nice when you're trying to position snow piles and clean up. I cut my production time from a 1 hr property to about 35 to 42 minutes. I was amazed.

I see a similar, but not as dramatic, pattern on residential. Cleaning up aprons or positioning snow with the scoop is nice. The V position will be good for long drives and heavy snow falls.

I would buy the v blade, I just don't see where you can go wrong.
  13. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Why thank you :D I still have to add a little more, but I like how it turned out too.

14. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I'd go with a V. I've had one for four years. I had to replace a blown hose. That was under warranty, and I have to put a repair harness on it, before this winter. I think that's good for four seasons. When I first bought it and got use to the controls, it saved me enough time, I went out and picked up more accounts.
  15. wyldman

wyldman Member

I didn't know you did his website Chuck.It looks sweet.Nice work.
  16. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Having plowed with both straight and v blades (Fisher), I could never go back to a straight blade I'd have to buy a second truck to be able to do the work the V does. The Fisher back drags as well as a straight blade. If you have a blizzard dealer near I would take a serious look at their products. The V position, I only use opening roads, or deep drifts, most of the time it's in the scoop position, and the Blizzard should be as efficient for moving snow plus the extra width would also decrease plow time.
    I'm looking at buying a blizzard for this season, I think it's the next step forward in snowplow evolution.

17. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

My signature will tell you my opinion:dizzy: :nod: :drinkup:

18. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

One word Blizzard! Like nsmilligan said how often do u use the V position.My opinion is to consider a blizzard plow.
  19. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Enough said!
  20. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

Hey Basic,

Are you in Sussex County? I am guessing that you are! If you are talking to Danforth's, they are great. There price might be a few dollars more, but in a storm they will always be there for you. We have been dealing with them for at least ten years now. If you are looking to do some sub work let me know?