1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deciding on new plow, have some questions.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by durallymax, Nov 2, 2011.

1. durallymax

durallymax Senior Member

Probably the millionth thread like this so sorry in advance.

Its been a rainy day here and ive been doing research on plows.

We would like to add a V-Plow to our 2003 Chevy 2500HD before winter. Currently have an older Hiniker 8' Straight Blade on our 02 GMC 2500HD and will still be using that plow in addition to the new one.

I have been looking at 8.5' ones but would not rule out a 9.5. The only issue I would wonder about is clearance due to the added weight and longer blade when folder for road transport on a 3/4 ton GM. I could be wrong though.

We are a large dairy farm that spends the majority of a day clearing snow between all of our farms, neighbors, and the roads too enough days. We do have one contract job which is a large gas station with large semi parking area. Aside from that and some little bits here and there, we plow mostly on gravel, grass, and dirt.

We also use a Volvo L60E for clearing snow when available, but it is busy throughout the day feeding cows and is not very efficient in light snowfalls, does work nice for pushing back banks and piles which plays into our plow decision, we don't necessarily need the best stacking plow. We aren't going to be able to get through a season without moving the snow back with the loader at least once, so a plows ability to stack isn't as big of an issue to us.

For the heavy snowfalls, heavy drifting, or if other things are busy, we have a 12' silage blade mounted on a 300hp 38,000lb tractor with duals all the way around.

We also have various skid steers for cleaning up around the buildings.

Where I am going with all of this, is the various things that play into our purchase decision. We don't plow on paved surfaces all that often. We do have a few large areas to clear, but also have a lot of driveways. We dont have any places where we are very restricted to width. We do our share of back dragging, but piling and stacking is usually cleaned up by the loader.

Some things im seeing across the board as I look at the different models are trip edge versus full trip. In a Vee situation i feel a trip edge is far superior over a full trip, and we trip the blade a lot due to the constant change from gravel the concrete to grass etc across the farm.

I like the idea that some Vee's have that allow you to compensate for wear by adjusting the hinge angle.

Good skid shoes are a must for us as we are primarily off pavement. We currently loose or rip off the hiniker ones 3-6 times per year.

Ive been pitched by all kinds of sales people today and am looking for some outside opinions.

Ive looked at Vee's from the following companies, Western, Boss, Hiniker, Sno-Way, Snow-Dogg, and Meyer.

Western, Hiniker and Boss are the lightest with the others all over 930lbs.

All of their attachment systems seem quick and easy to use.

I cannot get the Sno-Way from the local dealer, but maybe could find one further away, he said they over sold them though.

All of them but the meyer would have very good support that is within 30 minutes from my location.

Price wise (all prices cash and carry) the Snow Dogg is the cheapest with the western being only a few dollars more than it, followed by the boss at $100 more than it, and the hiniker at $700 more than that.

Out of all of those the boss is the only one that is not a trip edge, which i dont like but again could be wrong.

Now i am also considering a Blizzard 8100 power plow. A price for that was a couple hundred more than the Snow Dogg.

Parts and service for the Blizzard would be 15-20 minutes further away than if i went with a vee from another brand.

So here are some of my main questions.

1. The advantage I see to the Vee is being able to bust through snow drifts, well after talking to a guy on the issue he reminded me of a good point that either way, the truck is still a small truck. You will get through bigger drifts with a vee than the blizzard, but the amount of times youll want the vee over the blizzard will outweigh the blizzards speed.

2. Full trip on the blizzard with the wings forward, my brain says this could be an issue, is it?

3. am i missing anything?

Thank you.
  2. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Sounds like you've done your homework!! My nephew has a 8.6 hiniker V on his 07 2500. He added Timbrens and has no issues with clearance when in "V"
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Vinny, once I'm out of this semi hauling corn I can give a more detailed reply. I plow similar stuff to you at times around the farm. I'm running a boss v and love it.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The Blizzard wings fold back when it trips, still not ideal for constant tripping. I've had a Boss V for years, I've always sworn buy it. That being said, while I was at the dealer I do business with, he told me they carry Fisher as well now and he liked the trip edge on their V plow better. I looked at the Fisher Extreme V online and decided that will be my next V plow. I know it was not on your list but give it a look if possible.
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I would recommend a V, I love my boss 9.2 poly v. I've spent some time behind the controls of a 8.6' fisher steel v on an 02 dmax and it just didn't seem to do the job of my boss. Didn't lift as high, seemed slower, and when plowing gravel rattled around alot more. I don't find the full trip on my boss to be much of a problem, I just bump the plow up a little bit when I know I'm getting to a change in surface (gravel to pavement, cement to grass,etc) and then slowly let it drop again if I need to. With practice it becomes almost second nature and isn't really as big of a pain as it seems. I've never used a expanding wing plow (wideout, 810, xls,etc) but for what your describing and my own experience around a farm I'd take my V. Breaking through drifts or area's of hard packed snow (lanes, area's around sheds that you never go in during the winter, etc) it's nice to just use the pickup instead of going to find the loader or a skiddy. It might be a little harder on the truck to open up the hard packed snow that hasn't been plowed all winter but with some practice you'll gain knowledge of what your truck will do and what it doesn't really like. The skid loader wouldn't know your doing anything with it besides driving around but they can be slower and annoying to transport around if your to far to drive it from home.

As far as skid shoes, they make really good paper weights. I have the shoes on my v but their all the way up and are only on there for weight. There's no way the surface area of those 3 little shoes is going to keep my almost 1000lb snowplow afloat in the grass or unfrozen gravel. It's going to do some tillage either way, it's easiest to just raise the blade up a little bit so the cutting edge isn't hitting the ground and go slow. Some guys take sections of steel pipe and put them over the bottom lip of their cutting edge to make a less aggressive surface and help the plow float over grass or soft gravel rather then dig right in.

The 03 has been retired from sled puller and is now becoming snow plower?
  6. durallymax

durallymax Senior Member

My 03 is sitting in pieces and yes retired from pulling. Have somebody elses pulling tractor that i turn wrenches on now and its their checkbook so I enjoy it alot more. The farm has an 03 as well, thats the one were putting the plow on.

Leaning towards the blizzard actually i'm thinking. I think in the long run we will be happier with it and get more done throughout the year. The only issue i see is larger snowfalls where the Vee wouldve been nice, well bring out the silage blade.
  7. durallymax

durallymax Senior Member

ended up with a Blizzard 8100PP