1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deciding on first salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brazytislawns, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Brazytislawns

Brazytislawns Junior Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to deciding on my first salt spreader. I have a handful of drives and about 3 parking lots, the largest of which is about 10 80lbs bags of salt. I'm looking at about a $1300 price limit. Which brand? Any experince from anybody would be awesome! I can get a snow-ex mini pro or a salt dogg tgs06 for $1200 to start with. any experience with those two?

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

If you get a snow ex, be sure to take the control out in the summer as it hates the heat and will limit its reliability.
    A mini pro, I believe is the 575 if I'm not mistaking. Try and get something a little larger such as the 1075.

3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We have a SnowEx 1075, only used it for 1 season so far with baged salt.
    No issues at all.

4. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I have used sno way, boss, and salt dogg tailgate spreaders. Out of those three I would pick boss for the simple fact of how they hook up and are much easier to take on and off with one guy. I wouldn't waste your money on a salt dogg tgs07 I had one and hated it. Had to shut the metering gate when you were done salting or all your product would run out and had to shut it when filling it up or the same problem. It didn't spread the best either in my opinion. I was glad to get rid of it and now i am buying a new boss tgs600 to hold me over till i buy my first vbox next year. I ran sno way spreaders for years with very very few issues so they are a good spreader also. I have never had a snow ex so cant comment on those but from what I hear they are as good as anybody's. I

5. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Sorry salt dogg was a tgs06 not a tgs07

6. golfcar

golfcar Member

I use a Meyer 750 Blaster and no problems.

7. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Snow Ex. No issues at all. 575 model sounds like the right size for you. 1075 is next size up. Both great. I leave the controler's in all year with no issues.

8. I have a 575 that was used for one storm that I will sell.

9. Brazytislawns

what are you thinking for price? does it have the wiring and controller?

10. I would like to see 975 - 1000 it is complete with wires and controller.

11. Brazytislawns

if you were closer i might consider it, but i have a quote for a new one for $1209

12. Where are you at.

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We've had 2 Fisher 1000's, bought both used and after some tlc they were flawless and they both had many,many tons run through them. In fact the guy who bought our first one ran it last year with no problems and is selling it, he was looking to get 700ish for it plus it has a Karrier vib and lights on it. I think new (around hear) they go for around 1400ish

14. Brazytislawns

Cleveland, OH

15. Brazytislawns

thank for all your responses! one other question, how hard is it to install you own spreader? we install our own plows so thats our experence level.

16. It's easiser then a plow

17. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Bump up your budget a little bit to about 1600 bucks and get a TGS 1100 from Boss...easiest off and on there is I believe, and very well built.

18. Brazytislawns

thats funny! I just bought a used one this afternoon!:) hopefully i'll like it!

19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If it's got the SmartHitch, you'll LOVE it...

20. Brazytislawns

here is a pic of my salt spreader! got it all wired, and can't wait for snow!! Photo0006.jpg

Photo0006.jpg