1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deciding on a new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alpha Property, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

now i know this topic is done to death, but i'm in need of a new truck... my 1500 chev just isn't holding up.
    It has to be a 3/4 or a 1 ton, prefferably diesel, and either another Chev/GM or a Ford... I will be using it for summer maintenance, mulch, leaves, debris etc, i only ever have one other guy with me so a standard cab would be fine, my big question, since i mostly do residential,
    Can you efficiently plow a driveway with a Std cab dully with a 8ft dump on it or would a std cab SRW 8ft box with a dump insert be best?

2. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

My uncle has a Chevy 3500 Reg. Cab dually with dump body and a 9' Fisher plow and he all he plows is residential driveways. The truck does fine. In some driveways it is tight but not to bad. I know a lot of people don't reccommend plowing residential drives with a dually dump body, but it seems to work fine for him.

3. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I like ford for work trucks. The 08 fords are nice. They were hard to like when I first saw them but they are really growing on me after some of the ones I saw. Really nice trucks!

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

well depending on your budget why diesel? unless your pulling heavy loads the diesel 6-8k more to
    buy .plus fuel is cheap now but diesl could be $5.00 gal next yr .
    if i was buying a ford id do a v10 .

JR

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

LOL terrible advice! Remember, when diesel was expensive, so was gas. A diesel will also get DOUBLE, yes, I said DOUBLE, the mileage a V10 will get while plowing/towing, and, the diesel motor will last twice as long.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Damn It please dont make me agree with JDieptra LOL

Owning a diesel just made that much more sense when diesel was $5

All though a agree with the towing part

You just don't use enough fuel plowing to justify a diesel

You need to put some serious hours on a truck to justify a diesel from a monetary standpoint

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Hahahahahaha come on!

The diesel will pay for itself over time. These are work trucks. They should be kept a long time. The resale value of a high mileage diesel over a high mileage gasser passer alone almost makes up the difference in the original cost.

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

trucks still 9k more than a gasser the mileage on the new diesel isnt as good as the old trucks
    so whats that $250a month more for 60 month thats alot of money if you buying used then a pre emissions diesel would be a good choice ford 7.3 or dodge cummins

JR

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Not neccesarily

There are a lot of things to factor in including usually the biggest.....INTEREST

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I agree w/JDiep too here. And I really respect his decision to not be brand specific with his recomendation this time! :D

Really though, are you looking to buy new new, or new to you? What's your budget? Give us a few more details of what you want and what all you will be using it for and we can help you make your decision a little easier; maybe even help you find a truck. ;)

Bear in mind in your decision making, that usually those opposed to diesels, especially newer ones, most of the time don't currently own or have ever owned one. I don't personally know of anyone who made the change and regretted it. Also, milage working is HUGE as listed above. Once again, those that disagree probably haven't owned both side by side to do the #'s. I've made the transition to all newer diesels. When I had both, I'd get more than double the plowing miles, on the same lot, than the gas trucks. This is comparing 5.7 GM's, not gas hogs like the 6.0(GM gas), 7.4, 8.1, or V10's. I'd almost bet 3x worse out of those.

11. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

lol yet another interesting debate, i want a diesel just because i want one, i like everything about them, my uncle has an 03 dmax and i love the power and the sound. With that being said, its budget minded, i want a newer body style, like an 03+ GM/ Chev if its going to be a chev, and i've heard a lot of pros and cons about both the 7.3 and the 6.0 ford motors, so as long as its the 98ish? or newer, and preferably with the chrome grill instead of the black plastic i'd be happy.
    I'd like to find a deal on something 10-20 000 range cnd, so for that money i'm gunna be into prob a earlier ford with the 7.3,

Oh, and i'll be using it for plowing, towing a skid steer, maybe a mini ex depending on the job at hand, sod, soil, mulch, thatch from spring cleanups, leaves... and towing my 16X6.5 open landscaping trailer

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Find a cummins or 7.3, or even a pre-'05 duramax and you should stay under $20K. All good trucks in their own respects. Im liking my all GM fleet with the exception of one Dodge and I love the Dodges before '02. Good Luck!payup

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of drives are you plowing? Residentials in a city should be fine with a dump truck, but windy drives in the country would be very tough to plow with a dually dump! I have a few drives and a few are very tough to do with my one truck that has oversize tires. A dually wouldn't be possible. Just something to think about.

14. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Beware of the 03-04 Ford 6.0L diesels. You can get an Oasis report run on the truck with the VIN # to check for any problems. 05-07 6.0's were a lot better. I have an 0 and with 76000 on it, its been great!