1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Decided on these mirrors

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sabres07, Nov 3, 2008.

1. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I'd like a review after you get them. Seems like a almost to good to be true price. I just paid $225 for a replacement mirror for my wife's Montana that was for a power mirror no heat. I had been reading your other thread and it made me think of adding heated mirrors myself. Right now I have power mirrors with a rear defroster. So I'm hoping based on B&B's input the wiring for the heat is already in the door. Looking forward to your review.

3. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I've bought aftermarket replacement mirrors for two separate Chevy trucks. I was disappointed with both. The plastic faded, became brittle and the mirror itself shakes badly on the highway. Both times, I went to the dealer to get the OEM mirrors. You get what you pay for... Try a junk yard or www.car-part.com

4. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Yeah...I was thinking the price was too good...we will see. I went to a glass shop today to price out the heated mirror glass by itself. The heated mirror glass was about $69.00 for each side, installing them into my existing housings. Then I would have to add wire and a switch. If the quality is poor on these, I may just return them. I will post a review when I get them.
    Hey Q101...do you remeber what brand of aftermarket mirrors you bought and were unhappy with?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Hey thanks for the link! I found what I've been wanting for my truck. Mine came with ugly door mount towing mirrors, removed them and went with the corner mount little sport mirrors, but they are too small for towing and plowing. I am going to go with the bigger 88-93 style, which they list as 98-up. Only thing is I wanted stainless, they only have chrome or black. I might go with black, as the chrome won't last like stainless does. No heat or light option, but maybe I can make something myself.

My heated mirror solution now is a spray bottle of icemelter. I can open the windows and hit both from the drivers seat. Works pretty well for $3.

6. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

The one brand was CIPA, but I don't remember the other one.

7. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

hey thanks for the link i just ordered a new drivers side one for my 250

8. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

No problem, guys...maybe I should get a sales commission! Anyways, I just got an email from them stating my mirrors are packed and shipped....all in one day. Not bad, so far....

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Be sure to post back and let us know how they are quality wise.

10. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Yep...haven't forgotten. Estimated date of arrival here is today. I'll let you know when i get them.

11. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

One of my trucks is a 1993 k2500 truck is in perfect shape so some upgrades were in order to make it the perfect plow truck.It had the manual "elephant ear" style mirrors.I got a set of heated power mirrors of a 1998 Tahoe, power mirror wiring and switch out of a 94 S10 and the rear defrost switch,wiring and relay out of the 94 S10.With some modification to the wiring i now have heated power mirrors on the truck.

12. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I got the mirrors yesterday in the mail. The plastic housing does not seem quite as stout (maybe brittle, as someone suggested?) as the OEM mirrors and the quality seems a touch below that of original equipment. I figure I will give them a try, but I will not toss my originals just yet. The new mirrors installed very easily, no problems there. I was able to identify the two wires that control the heat function, so I hooked that up after running some wires through my door from a switch on the dash. I do not have a up/down left/right switch yet to control movement...not really a concern for me as I really just wanted heated mirrors. As far as a test drive, there was no rattling or shaking at highway speeds as some have suggested with their aftermarket mirrors. These seem pretty tight. If they loosen up over time or if the plastic housing fades from the sun, I figure I will just trasnfer the inards of the new mirrors to the housings of my originals. For the price I paid, $34.00 per mirror, they seem like a good deal so far.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008