1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Decide for me!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WilliamOak, Aug 10, 2010.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Here is my dillema, my truck might be sold by the end of the week and I am getting out of mowing so all that equipment is going soon also. Now here comes the problem, what to replace my truck? Here are the 2 trucks I'm considering:
    '05+ LLY or LBZ duramax
    '05+ psd
    Either would be in the same cab configuration (crew cab, short bed) and black. Only acceptions to that would have to be the deal of a lifetime. Now here comes the question- which would you choose and WHY?
    I pretty much have my mind mad up on a duramax, but I want you 6.0 guys to come on here and convince me. I have been a ford guy with a dodge for the longest time so it might not be hard... lol I like the ford body and interior more than any truck out there, but again, I cant seem to ignore the dmax lol.
    For you guys with the 6.0s that are modded a bit- what type of mpg/power are you seeing? MPG is probably the big frontrunner for me as I will be driving it to and from school which is ~3 hours away and if I'm just gonna get 13-14 doing it I might as well just keep my truck and get 12 rather than go out and spend $20k++ for 2 more mpg.
    I also want the truck to be fun, Its gonna be flashy, its gonna be fast and its gonna smoke lol. I'm young and I'm giving up my landscaping biz to focus on college so its somewhat of a dividend for giving up something I love for something I need. I have been mowing since I was like 10 (19 now) and I guess the time has come.
    So let me have it guys!

and dont forget WHY, I dont want a bunch of "go ford tough" bs with nothing to back it up...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

well i guess ill start it off. i bought a 06 f250 extended cab about 18 months ago. as with all trucks winter and summer mileage are different but ive always got a solid 14-16mpg on mine, 18-20 on long highway trips. ive put close to 40k on it since i bought it and it now sits at 84k miles. ive put 2 egr valves in it under warranty, 2 becuase they screwed up the first one at the dealer. thats all its needed. plus they all come with 100k engine warranty so your good for a while. mine has been awesome, i love it, i was pretty much in the same boat as you and its the best decision ive made on a truck. always had chevy;s at work and i just dont like em, love my fords. i havent gotten into the power mods yet though unfortunately, thats next summers project. id also reccomend looking at where i bought my truck, Lenz Auto. they were a pleasure to deal with and got an unbelieveable deal on my truck. i can still sell it for more then i paid. good luck on the choice :drinkup:

3. WilliamOak

Thank you lol, that's exactly the response I was looking for. How does your truck do in the winter as far as cold starts go? That's gonna be a huge issue for me as it will sit for the majority of the week at school and I need it to start when it's time to go home lol.

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I would seriously reconsider your year range. I would be looking for PRE-2005 to avoid the emissions equipment of that era....

5. WilliamOak

Emissions equip will be the first thing that comes off, the trucks I'm looking at are out of warranty so I won't be losing out on that.

6. WilliamOak

This truck won't stay stock for long at all either.

7. metallihockey88

i was suprised at home good mine started in the cold as i was worried too. it never even slow cranked at all last year even after sitting for a day or 2 and trying to start in 10-20 degree weather. even started first shot after sitting overnight in the UP when it was 15 below. thnk the key is full synthetic 5w40. talked my buddy into switching it into his equipment in the UP that would always have hard time starting in the cold and now since he switched it hardly even slows down when cranking and starts right up everytime.

8. WilliamOak

Seems like the guys that run synthetic never have a problem w/ cold starts. What are your plans for power? As much as I hate to admit it I'm stepping in foreign territory when it comes to tuners for the 6.0s.. Also, are you still running the stock exhaust? I think thats gonna be one of the first things to come off lol.

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Duramax baby! I was in the same position about 2 months ago- decided to go Dmax. Stronger engine than the 6.0 powerstroke, FAR better tranny, G80 locker, not constantly blowing head gaskets.... the list goes on and on. Sure, they sit tall and look ALMOST as badass as GMC, BUT.... I'd much rather have a good, strong truck with a proven powertrain, then a truck with a so so powertrain. Even my buddies who all swore by ford are starting to switch their fleets over to GM trucks with the Dmax/Allison... when a ford guy tells ya to avoid the 6.0 you know it must be bad lol

Yes, any truck will have issues, the question you need to answer is, go for a truck known to have few issues, or one known to have multiple BIG $$$ issues?

That being said, the one thing I did like better about the fords were their front ends... I THOUGHT a SFA would be basically bulletproof... buy was I wrong. After stopping by a couple front end shops and asking about the SFA ford front ends, my mind was basically made up- not only do the ford front ends have issues.... they apparantly cost much more $$$ to repair than the IFS GM front ends....

Made my decision easy!

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

I have to ask though... if you're getting out of landscaping and plowing, WHY are you buying a 3/4 ton HD truck in the first place lol

10. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

Oh boy here we go again.

11. WilliamOak

Hard to argue w/ the allison but the torqueshift isnt a bad tranny by any stretch. I know more guys with no problems on 6.0s than I do who have had bad ones, I think it definitely goes to show that one bad opinion overshadows 50 good ones. Guys dont get on the internet harping about how much they love stuff as often as they do when its not cooperating lol.

And no way is a SFA bulletproof, I'm coming from a dodge, trust me I know! haha
    No matter IFS or SFA, front end repairs arent cheap if you dont do them yourself. IFS just doesnt seem to eat u joints and ball joints like SFA trucks do. Not to mention I wont be plowing again until I'm out of school (2013) I've always been a Ford guy, loved the stance, loved the body, loved the interior etc.. Another thing going for ford is I can pick up an '05+ cc sb psd for roughly $5-$8k less than a comparable Dmax. $5k into mods can go a lonnngggg way towards building a truck into what I want and making it a damn good and reliable work truck at the same time.

I have always had the diesel itch, and with going to college full time 3+ hours away I can only take on so many mowing accounts (nobody wants their lawn mowed weekly on a sunday) and finding someone to cover them and cover them to my standards wont happen and to be honest Id rather not deal with that. I still plan on doing what really makes me $$ which is such things as installs, mulch, design work etc. Which is where the need for the 3/4-1 ton comes up. Not to mention I'm giving up something I love and has always been a part of my life I want to reward myself for the work I've put into it. I'm not one of those guys that can drive around a truck 2x as old as him and be happy, I like working hard and having nice things to show for it. but that also doesnt mean I'm gonna go out and blow every last penny I have on a truck lol. Really all I'm doing is selling the mowing equip, trailer and my truck and replacing that with an equipment trailer and diesel pickup. Never will I be completely out of this field lol.

Oh and lets please not turn this into a ford vs. chevy mess. I want to hear about your experience not a bunch of hearsay or thick skulled bs.. (just covering my bases, not refering to you matt)

12. metallihockey88

well after decking it out for the winter and losing my job not long after money has been short and havent been able to get going on it. now im so close to being out of warranty, figure ill wait til its up ot go on the power mods. first of course is ripping out that egr system and adding head studs. then guages and new exhaust. ill probably stop at the tuner, dont wanna get too crazy with it. just gonna get myself in trouble, why i sold my camaro and mustang lol. as many people as you hear having bad experiences with the 6.0, theres at least 2-3 with nothing but good to say like me. every truck has its problems. just take care of it and build it up right and im sure youll be fine.

13. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I say go with the Powerstroke. We also run 5w-40 Synthetic, and it helps a lot with the cold starts. If you want to make some power (not that it doesn't have enough already), just add exhaust, gauges and an SCT with Innovative tunes. These transmissions hold up really well, so don't worry too much about that. Before you buy remember to get an Oasis report.

14. WilliamOak

You're not too far off of my plans then,
    4" straight pipe with a 6" tip
    Shift Kit
    Tuner
    Guages
    ARP head studs if/when I have any problems. No sense on changing them out if I'm not having problems.

JamieG- Wouldnt touch a 6.0 w/o an oaisis!

15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I hear ya- it's tough to run a business in college (I'm in school for another 2 years,and am about 3 hrs from home)...

I can't blame ya for wanting a diesel :D I didn't realize you were still doing "side jobs" which you'd definitely need a good, strong truck for.

I would say, do whatever makes you happy- test drive both, see which seems right for you.... ussmileyflag

16. WilliamOak

Thats the plan, after all none of you guys will have to drive it every day :drinkup::D

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'm not talking about DPF's and EGR. I'm talking about internal engine modifications, multiple injection events, variable geometry turbines, etc. They were just so complicated to try to solve the emissions crunch. Many many fail-safes, and controls. Not saying its impossible, just saying its more expensive.

You're on a college budget, where'd all this money come from, you win the lottery? :rolleyes:

18. WilliamOak

Lol, I'm selling my 2 year old 18' enclosed stuffed with mowers, trimmers, blowers, tools etc since I'm gettin out of mowing. Selling my accounts and truck also and putting it mostly back into a nice truck and equipment trailer to do landscape installation work. I guess you could say I'm "restructuring".

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Dumping money into building a diesel pick up hot-rod sure sounds like a sound business decision.

Jus' sayin.

I'd invest that money into a college education, retirement funds, stocks, even real estate before I "invested" it in vehicles that depreciate faster than they wear out.

20. WilliamOak

I needed to add this to post.