1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

decent res.plow for 3/4t

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dshanks, Oct 24, 2012.

1. dshanks

dshanks Junior Member

hi guys and gals im in the market for a plow and cant decide well i think i know what i want but dont want a piece of junk,first off ill tell you a little about what i do the majority of my work is in acerage private road,trailer parks etc. so i dont think i really need a 5-6g v plow or anything also im very limited to what i can get as im based out of alberta and cant seem to find any real plow dealers so im kinda limited to homedept canadiantire stuff and i think ill stay away from snow bear stuff. so what im wondering what do you think about Firsttrax plows avalible at homedepot? anyone have one or know how they proform
    are parts readily avalible and so on and advice recomendations are greatly appreceated
  2. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

never heard of that before but i just looked it up and they don't look too bad. The big issue is manual angling could be a pain in the butt. I would look for a nice used western or something like that. I got my complete plow with all mounts and wiring off craigslit for about half the price of theirs new. As for parts i think that would be a tough find as it is not really a named brand. I would take a look on CL.
  3. dshanks

dshanks Junior Member

Ya they lOok alright hey,I'm going to go have a look gor myself today and find out the details,I could see how the manual might be a pain but it's livable I guess,as for western
    Plow don't they have to stay on the rig truck "not easily removed? That's the reason I was going to go with a good personal plow as it needs to be removable as I haul trailers mainly in summer months , I'll check out crags list but isn't that a kijiji style site bout only in the united states?
    Thanks for the reply
  4. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Plows these days are capable of being removed from the truck within a couple of minutes. If they weren't don't you think that would be an issue for every plow guy as most of them run landscaping businesses during the rest of the year and haul trailers all day long like you?

I'd listen to what Andy said and try to find a used commercial plow. With the types of winters you get a small residential style plow with manual angling will make you feel useless.

Yea craigslist can be pretty damn sketcky but we find some of the best deals on there because most people on there really are just regular people trying to get rid of their stuff. Craigslist is also world wide now.

5. dshanks

dshanks Junior Member

Ya I'm looking around for a good plow but can't find anything unless new and there 4,5,6g I'm going to have a lOok at the homedepot plow and I will decide after I get more info on these plows but thanks for your opinion
    Good day
  6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

dshanks, private message me. I'm in your neck of the woods & can give you some info. I too am in the No dealer location, but I did just get a plow in lethbridge.
  7. dshanks

dshanks Junior Member

Email me at dustinshanks@gmail or send me your email im new to the forum world don't know how to pm yet especially on this plowsite app lol you looking to sell?
  8. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

you can also try looking on ebay and just select local results. I gotta think there are some plows up north of the border :) Good luck on the search man!
  9. Charlie'sChaps

Charlie'sChaps Junior Member

I bought one, and it arrived last week. It looks pretty promising, but it's still on my trailer. They sent me the wrong mount, which I'm not too happy about. I will call tomorrow and get them to express one, as were expected a bunch of snow here in the Cariboo, BC.

If you are looking at one, get it from Costco.ca, they have the full hydraulic model there for about the same price as Home Depot has the manual one. HD sells the mount seperately for about 300.00 and the manual unit for 1600.00

If you want I can get out and take a couple of pics of it when I get a chance one day after work next week.

BTW guys, I am new (as you have guessed) so, hello! and thanks for having me.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  10. dnewf

dnewf Junior Member
    from Canada

Just wondering how you firsttrax plow made out. I think you said you had the full hydro one from costco.
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I think Northern Tool used to sell these as well.
  12. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

those plows cannot and will not hold up to private roads and Canadian snow falls its a waste of money buying one of those pieces of scrap. find something more heavy duty with a trip edge design maybe on craigslist cheap. professional plowers do not use homeowner crap plows. especially on a 3/4 ton truck
  13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I have a very strong feeling that the toy plows from HD/crappytire/costco will not satisfy your needs even remotely. If you were buying the unit just to do your own private 50 foot driveway, I'd think that you'd be OK, but the kind of work you're talking about doing is probably the most demanding type of plowing that there is.

When the $2000 toy lets go, it will fold in and destroy your front bumper. Maybe your grill, maybe your tires, maybe body panels (fenders). You will probably end up looking at $2000+ damage to your truck, and then you'll still need to buy a new *real* plow. Your alternative is to spend $4000-$5000 *now* and get a real plow.

There are Arctic plow dealers in Edmonton, Calgary, and Prince George.
    http://www.arcticsnowplows.com/engl...int=(53.9332706, -116.5765035)&postal=alberta