1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

decent plow truck???

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Kentuckydiesel, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

I have wanted to start plowing for a couple years but never got around to buying a plow, etc. I had originally planned on putting a plow on my '95 F350 CC DRW4x4 truck but have since dropped that idea because i want to do smaller areas like driveways and smaller parking lots. All the big parking lot jobs and neighborhood jobs always seem to be done by excavation equipment.
    I have a '79 Dodge W150 stepside with a built 360, 4sp manual, 4x4 with a lift and 35" goodyear MT/R tires that i am now thinking of using. Up until now, the only plow truck I've used is a '84 F250 belonging to my grandparents which has a 7'6" western plow, been really good to us, had the plow since the truck was new. i have found it to be lacking in traction now and again and is sometimes a little too long when doing really tight areas (such as clearing out though storarage areas so the forklifts could get through. How would this dodge do? (It has the best traction of any truck I've ever driven) I am thinking about dropping the dodge 2-4" for stability reasons, is this a good plan? What do you guys think?? Thanks, phillip

2. Kentuckydiesel

Also, it has rearched front springs with a long leaf added in which were done by a very good local spring and chassis shop. How solid a plow can I use. I was thinking about a 7'6" or 8' Western pro. -phillip
  3. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Don't buy a lifted truck to plow with. You'll have mounting issues. Go for a standard height truck 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Leave that truck for off-roading and get your self an W200, W250 or a 2500 for plowing.
  5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Very nice truck! I think I'd avoid using that truck for plowing if I had it. I mean it'd make a sweet plowtruck, but thats a hard to find truck and in such nice shape I would not want to plow with it if I didn't have to. But if you decide to do it, it will definately push strong. Just please please please take it and pressure wash off all the salt on a regular basis, get the frame and everything. Thanks I'd feel better :) LOL too nice of a old Mopar to tear up..

Lower it for stability? Thats the craziest thing i've ever heard of. Nonsense. A lifted truck like that is just as stable as you need it to be. The extra clearance will help alot in deep snow and drifts if your not pushing the whole amount of snow (if its too deep to push all at once you have to take off part of it, also if the roads haven't been plowed yet).

The only thing you have to do is modify your plow's A-frame so that the mount points of it go up to meet the truck mount. Lots of people do it. My 79 Club Cab Dodge has 3" body lift and 37" Super Swampers, it needs more lift but works fine this way. My SnoWay plow is a little different than the 'normal' old style chain lift plows with truck mounted pump. My pump mounts on the A frame and the hookup is different so I lowered the truck mount to match it. I actually had to build a truck mount, no big deal for me. But with a typical Meyer, Western, Fisher, etc. style plow I would modify the plow A frame not the truck end, that way your normal lift chain will reach (it could be extended) but, mostly cuz you need ground clearance with the plow off (i assume you will off road that baby some!)

Yes these old PowerWagons plow great, NP203 full time transfer case is great for plowtrucks and these tanks are built strong to last long. I love mine.

It would make a great plowtruck but I hate to see you do that to that particular truck. See if you can find another old PowerWagon thats not as pretty and preferably 3/4 ton (you'll better gears & brakes mainly the rest is similar except rear axle is upgraded on 3/4 ton, and I think on the one tons you get heavier rear and front axle).

Post more pics and info on that truck i love it!
  6. Kentuckydiesel

I already own it, that's why I'm considering using it. I too prefer 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, I'd never buy another half ton again, but i already have this one, so why not?

Bushhogboy, it's not in as nice a shape as it looks to be. For one, the bed is shot. When i bought it the tailgate hinges were rotted out to where they broke off the truck. there is no longer a normal plank floor, just plywwod on the frame. The cab was so bad that i had to buy a cab off a '93 to replace it with. It now has '93 fenders which don't quite fit right witrh the grille shape. It does have a solid frame and that's what counts. Anyway, it's no longer a collectors vehicle, if it ever was.

My other truck is a F350, i'll put a pic up. It's really a little big for plowing unless i was doing roads. Anyhow, it's in such good shape, i don't want to plow with it anyway. It's my hauling truck. -Phillip

7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I would not use either of these to plow with, but that is just me.

The F350 is too long, the Dodge is too high.here are the main questions for the dodge:

1) Is it a body lift, frame lift or both. With a body lift you should be able to use a standard mount with out too many modifications assuming your tires are not soooo tall it throws the angle of attack for the plow off, which in that case you will have to modify the plow mount. A frame lift you will have to modify the plow mount.

2) It is only a 150 so a 7.5' will probably be a large of a plow as I would go... ass wings if you need the extra width.

3) The tires look too wide and will float over the snow instead of digging in for traction.

Again I would not use either, but that is just my opinion...
  8. Kentuckydiesel

It is too high (susp lift) right now but I'm going to drop it back down so I can use it. That was my first truck and i had it during H.S. which is when I lifted it so high. It's really too high for my taste now, although it fits in a normal car-sized garrage. -Phillip
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

First off, I like the truck just the way it is, Bad box and all. Thats what makes it an old Dodge off road truck. And yes you can plow with almost any thing. You can even put a plow on a wheelbarrow.!!!:eek:
    Next the bagging for a 79, 1/2 is W100/ a bagging change happened again at Chrysler before the body style does, as all of the manuals list them as
    W100 for that year..
    Now having said that would I plow with it NO.:nono: WHY?
    Well,l let's start at the back end shall we?
    IF it is stock, I bet it is an open rear end, no limited slip. and the gearing is high as most on the W150's are. It's hard to tell if you used blocks or springs to gain that lift. But it looks like blocks and BFT's
    (big ******* tires )
    What this does is it lets the pinion climb up on the gear.
    what I mean is, The rear end twists creating a lot of spring wrap, the pinion goes up causing premature U-joint failure.
    The high gearing is also hard on the tranny when a load is put to it.

O.k on to the transfer case in the W150 the stock one is the
    belt driven NP-203 A notoriously weak link. Not good for the load, plowing puts on the truck.
    Tranny, probably a 727 loadflite so far it's the best thing this truck has going for her.
    Engine, 318, They may not be the big boy on the block but they will run for ever.
    Now, the front axle. probably a Dana 44, thou a tuff axle, she won't hold up long to the rigors of plowing.
    The front springs will let the same thing happen as did in the rear. A hole lot of twisting going on there too.. lol
    So keep her as she is:drinkup:
    Now you have an excuse to go get yet another Dodge truck.
    I don't mean to rip your truck down at all. I just think you would be much happier plowing with something else.
  10. Kentuckydiesel

Well, you're right on some things, but not on others.
    -I did use blocks, but that's blocks in addition to the 6" lift springs I added when I broke a rear spring years ago. If I drop it some, I'll take the blocks out. Not much axle wrap there. Also, I want to drop it for driveablility reasons too. I'm hard-core into training horses now and really don't have time or money to be 4-wheeling.
    -It does have high axle gearing, but that's not so bad because the 203 is 2:1 in low if I need it and the 1st gear of my NP435 Tranny is like 4:1 Plus, it's nice for the interstate should I need to drive it.
    -The NP203 is chain driven, not belt driven, and is VERY strong. The only downside to a 203 is the chain gets "slop" in it, but they never break. I have a 203 chain laying out, that sucker is huge.
    -I know a lot of guys like an auto for plowing but I personally don't like autos and I've been plowing with a F250 which has a 4 speed manual for years. This dodge has an NP435 that I recently rebuilt, and a new, heavy duty clutch.
    -Engine, it's a well built 360, built by me. I went through it all the way, it's got 9:1 pistons, .040 over, performer intake, RV cam(well, a little bigger than RV), Edelbrock carb, headers, swirl port heads with heavy valve springs, all new accessories, and probably more that I'm forgetting. It'll hand with most anything.
    -Front axle, you're right dana 44, but if you will consider this, most 3/4 ton trucks use some version of a dana 44 sometimes with different wheel bearings/breaks, sometimes not, it is not common to find a dana 60 in a 3/4 ton. The TTB axle in my grandparent's '84 F250 with a 6.9 diesel and commercial grade 7'6" western plow is a version of a dana 44 having the same ring/pinion, bearings, similar ball joints, ect. It has been plowing since '84 when it was bought new.
    -Front springs, these puppies are nearly flat even with the re-arch and the extra long leaf, there won't be any axle wrap there.

-As far as you tearing down my truck, that's what I was looking for. I've learned that before I get into any project I need to have the pros and cons of it. For this, I needed the pros and cons of using this truck. Right now, the only con for me is the cost of parts needed to set up a plow, and i will probably want to replace the rear axle as it is kinda small. I do appreciate the time you took to write all that and i would be glad to hear more "tearing down" because even if I use the truck, at least I'll know ahead of time what issues I'll have. The big pro of using this truck is I won't have to sell my first truck. Right now it's in a garage all the time because It's not great to drive compared to my other truck. Setting it up to plow would allow it to earn it's keep. Thanks, Phillip
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2005

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

what ever flots your boat.
  12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

If you like it, get it.:dizzy:
  13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Nice F350 BTW.

Well if you do drop the Power Wagon, lemme know I would be interested in the lift components.
    And if you ever decide to get rid of the truck as a whole, let me know also I might be interested!