1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Decent after market backup camera

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by hbrady, Oct 21, 2015.

1. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

My 2014 Silverado is not a joy to backup at night, especially with my old tired eyes. I thought about some bright LED backup lights but I also wanted something to make hooking up my camper a little quicker. Went on Amazon and found this Esky backup camera for $50. I was skeptical but after the install last night, I must say I'm impressed. Just thought I'd share :popcorn:

2. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Wait until you have some sunlight in the sky...I can't say I am as impressed with mine as you are with yours...about the only thing it is good for is lining up the trailer...and when to stop while backing into a parking spot.
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Interested in seeing it at night. Crazy, you live right down the road from me!
  4. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Howdy Neighbor ;) I used it last night and it was OK. Problem for me (besides my eyes) is my regular cab with tinted back window and black tonneau cover. My mirrors are good but when I turn to look over my shoulder it's a sea of blackness (and dash reflection). At least with this I can keep my eyes forward (mirrors and screen). Next mod.. 2.5'' leveling :mechanic:
  5. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Rain.. meet my parade ;) Actually my biggest problem is at night so hopefully it will get me by. I just couldn't fathom dropping 1K + to add the GM OEM camera.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Does it have a heated lens
  7. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Negative but it's pointed at a downward angle on license plate to 'hopefully' it won't ice up.
  8. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I won't run without them. I buy the ones you often see on RVs, heated/night vision 7"screen.. I mount them up on the top of the V hopper... always go wired, wireless suck!! I run it off the upfitter switch so I can use it when ever!! Deal extreme often has them for $70...
  9. 512high

512high Senior Member

I use CABCAM, they have several models, black and white, color even wireless, i think even a heated camera......fyi
  10. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

What brand is this?
  11. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Here's a link for example? I've had good luck with them, one is going on 4yrs!! Even have one on skidsteer with no issues! Summer time it's mounted to see the trailer hitch!! Like I said tho, go wired way less headaches!! Good luck. ..

12. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

Awesome! Thanks!
  13. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have the Esky EC170-09 plate frame camera hooked up to a panasonic head unit. the only complaint i have with it is there is no rain deflector over the camera, and at times the lens gets wet blocking view.
    and in the winter it easily gets snow covered blinding the camera.