1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Decal on Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by indianabc, Dec 25, 2003.

1. indianabc

indianabc Member

Has anybody put vinyl style lettering on their plow for advertising? Does it work - any recommendations? I did a search and found a little information from a while ago, wanted to see if anyone had some new thoughts on the subject. I have a poly plow and don't really want to paint on letters (like the city does)!

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I think you would be better off having a set of magnetic signs to put on the side of the truck. Stickers on a plow just get tore up so it would probably be a waste of money. Plus people would see the ones on the truck alot more.:)
  3. fordracer

fordracer Junior Member

Vinyl lettering on the plow would be a wast of money.My wife owns a sign shop and we never lettered a plow but we know it wouldn't last long.Magnetics would be good on the doors as long as you take them off and keep them clean. They get a lot of dirt behind them and will come off.
  4. The Boss

I agree with fordracer. Also, if dirt does get behind the signs and it's not cleaned, it can scratch the paint.(if you have a nice truck)lol:D
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Magnetic signs would be more visbile to other's driving
  6. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I've heard from some other forum that you can put the good vinyl lettering (like 7 year vinyl) on a plowblade and shoot some clear over it and it'll last a good while.

Here's another idea, why not paint your advertisement on the blade??

Just a thought.

7. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I put vinyl lettering on my plow but just until it snowed and then I took it off. The response I got from it was overwhelming. People would call me up as I drove past them and see if I was available.
    Had white letters on my red Boss and it really stood out. No it wouldn't last long if you plowed with it on.
  8. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I had vinyl decals on my plow. They don't last long if you use the plow. Looks good for show but not work.
  9. North Country

North Country Senior Member

kl0an has the right idea. I would try to have a sign shop paint the plow then shoot it with multiple layers of clear coat. Unless someone has had a bad experience with snow sticking to a clear coat finish; but I am sure you could use one of the tried and true methods on clear coat like Teflon Spray, Pam or Ski Wax.

How about a clear poly blade cover lettered from behind?

We had been talking about lettering the plows this season because we have a guy that would do vinyl cheap. The idea was to have the plows on early and use the drive time as advertising (It's like driving your yellow page ad around town and you can park it where your customers are!). All kinds of write off options there. I think it will happen next season - michael
  10. DodgePlow

DodgePlow Member

I put my number on my plow blade using vinyl. So far it is holding up preyty good. THe last storm we had I was pushing snow and ice and there was no scratches or parts of the lettering missing.

So far so good. I have got a few customers by way of advertising on my plow.
  11. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

abc...... I have them on the front of my plow for the 1st time. No real snow around to tell if they will stay on, but so far so good :D I must agree that the mag signs or lettering on the side of the truck has too be better and last longer.

12. indianabc

indianabc Member

For those who are putting info on the blade - are you running reverse letters so that people can read them in the rear view mirror?
  13. badranman

badranman Senior Member

No I didn't. I thought more people could read it coming at me than the few that would be in front of me. Also, I could park at the end of a driveway etc. and alot of people could read it then.
  14. The Boss

Signs or lettering on the truck will work better. Why put them on the plow when more people will see them on the truck?:nod:
  15. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I do have my truck lettered but having the plow lettered with 1 foot high letters and numbers really stood out, it was something different. People stopped and told me it was the best thing they ever seen.
  16. The Boss

I personally don't have any type of lettering on my truck or my plow, nor would I EVER put any type of advertising on my plow. I used to have magnets on my truck a few years ago but now my business gets around by word of mouth.:D
  17. badranman

badranman Senior Member

To each his own.
  18. The Boss

I agree.:waving:
  19. indianabc

indianabc Member

I only want to advertise during the plowing season. The rest of the year I do not want anything on my truck which leaves me with the magnet option which I am not a fan of. I have my spreader lettered out so I will see how that does.
  20. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

The Boss, more people will see your truck coming head on than will see it from the side. Think about it.. You're driving down the road, what do you see, Back bumpers and front bumpers.. That big blade is a bill board waiting to happen...\

Not having anything on your truck at all would bring you the scorn from the licensed and insured plow operators around here as being a lowballer.. If you have advertising and get too much business, contract it out. At least have the professionalism to use even a magnetic sign when you're working.. How else can you use it as a tax writeoff?? Some states require your company name on the truck if you use it for business.. And then again, you can write off the lettering fees as well..

Just a though or two..