1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Debating on the right type of Snow Blower!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Aura Lawns, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a new snowblower, I a debating between a Toro 518 and a 721. I am looking for input between these two and am open to other suggestions. I know the 518 is a less commercial machine, however I am using it for approx 6 two by one car driveways. I do plan to use it next year when I can drive so maybe the 721 is the right choice but I am hoping for some input to justify the cost. Also I live in Northern Virginia so snow can be unpredictable but we have had blizzards 4 years ago that was 3+ feet of snow, so far this season we have had a total of 4" one storm was 3" and the one today was barley half an inch. Most of the accounts are 2" triggers.

Also opinions on using a lawn tractor with a plow (and wheel weights) instead of a snowblower, it will be obsolete next year when I can drive but it is cheaper than the two but it is also bigger and more cumbersome.

Sorry for the long post but I am looking for input PLEASE.

Thanks

Aura
    ussmileyflag

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why would you want it to take longer to do 6 drives? It's very simple, you get the 721. When you can drive, you'll put it in your truck, provided you can lift it, and do more drives or walks.

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

x2 ........

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I own both, get the 721 if your doing drives with them, it will be way quicker. But the 721 is more $, bigger & heavier, but it will work way better for drives, 518 good for walks

6. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

I figured that would be the response I get. How long would it take to do a drive with 4" of snow?

Also any input on a rising mower vs. a 721?

Thanks

7. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

Also why is the 721 better for drives?

8. WIPensFan

Less than 5 min. Forget about the riding mower vs 721 for snow, the 721 blower will be a much better snow tool.

9. WIPensFan

Bigger more powerful engine, wider cut and taller opening on paddle housing. So when you get some bigger snowfalls you're still able to handle it. The smaller machine will really slow you down. Price difference is $100 for the basic 721r.

10. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

Ok, any input on pattle durability?

11. WIPensFan

Durability is good. If you want to buy the commercial unit you will get the thicker paddles that last longer. I would say for what you are doing with it currently, the regular paddles will last a full season. The thicker ones are close to double the cost to replace as the regular ones. All you are really doing with the thicker paddles is replacing them less often, not really saving money. Changing out paddles is pretty easy, especially after the first time, because all the bolts are factory tight ( sometimes really tough to break loose! ) but after that first time you're golden. I always Fluid film every bolt on the machine when I get them, keeps everything from rusting together.

12. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, both your questons, I would answer the same as Wipen, also the co Kage makes a commercial quality replcement paddle I've heard good thing about. 721 is bigger so moves more snow quicker. tractor, forget about, again like wipens says 721 better snow tool, that is unless your talking about a riding tractor like a xseries john deere or something, but that big $ and a whole other type of snow tool compared to a walk behind blower.

13. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

Thanks for the input, gonna go buy a 721 from homedepot this weekend and will post a review.

Thanks

14. WIPensFan

Wise sales.com
    No sales tax and free shipping...check it out. I've bought 4 from them and it's easy and fast. You put chute and handle on and add the oil.

15. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

They are out of stock

16. WIPensFan

Ahh, too bad. They have the Commercial unit though. Get what you want man, I'm just throwing ideas at you, it's your money. Thumbs Up

17. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

Thanks, yeah I'm pissed about it.