1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Debating about plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lodogg89, Jul 11, 2006.

1. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Ive been toying with the idea of buying a plow for a while now. I run a lawn and landscape business like most, but am bored during the winter. I would like to buy another truck just for the business. Anybody have any recomendations on what to buy and where to start. I have customers that would like snow removal as well. Id like to spend less than 10k total to get started,

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What truck will work for you depends on what type of customer base you will be servicing, Telling you to buy a 1/2 ton truck with a 7.6' blade to do large commercial sites wont work for you but would work great for small drives. Fill us in on your intended customer base, average snow falls and what your plans are for the truck in the warner months and we can send you in the right direction.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

10,000 should get you what-ever plow/salter combo you want installed on your truck, and a stock of material. Choose the brand by local service availability, don't buy something the local guy doesn't service.

4. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

when i say 10,000 i mean including a truck, im most likely going to be looking at used equipment obviously, im think just a 3/4 reg cab truck. Snowfall can be decent, but not overwhelming, last year it was slow. For the rest of the year, the truck is going to be a work truck, towing a 14ft trailer with mowing gear, and the occasional landscape job.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good Luck.

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you should be able to find something for 10k and under. yesterday i bought a 93 gmc 2500, 80,000 miles, with meyer cp8 for $6500. with the route included. i wouldn't reccomend getting a salt spreader the first year out, being the area your from. i would start out using a broadcast spreader. btw good to hear from you, i actually live 100 miles north of kc, in maryville.

7. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i know i wont have a problem finding what i want, ill probably end up with a 93-95 diesel, or a 99-00 gas in a 3/4 ton version. And then deciding on a plow of some sort,