1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Death Wobble bracket question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by onemanband, Dec 15, 2014.

1. onemanband

onemanband Member

Hello everyone, I recently picked up a Dodge 1 ton. The gentleman bought the bracket to eliminate the Death wobble. My truck its more the Ditch drift. But my dilemma is there are no instructions or ANY hardware with it. Does anyone have any pics at all with theres installed or have any idea the length of nuts an bolts I will need. Thank you for your help.
  2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen a few videos on you tube have never done 1
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Death wobble is the side to side oscillation of the axle.
    It is caused by a born/flexing track bar.
    a worn track bar will/can also cause your control arms to become worn from the oscillation too.

If your steering box needs a brace or ball-joints, bearings or tie rods you have a shimmy....

What does this bracket look like and where does it go?
    pic or a link to a pic?
  4. onemanband

onemanband Member

I have a Pic of it but I have yet to figure out how to upload a pic on here. Any help with that is greatly appreciated.
    Upper an Lower Ball joints have now been replaced. Im now ordering Moog track bar, etc, etc ,etc. Im not going to try and chase down the issue part by part. Depending on who you talk to some experts are saying the Steering control box Flexes causing the drift. I will try and post a link to the bracket.
  5. onemanband

onemanband Member

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Ok a steering box brace.

Some say they experience flex when they do a lift and install bigger tires. it couldn't hurt. I've never needed one with a stock set up.

dw is all track bar, The stock one is comparable to the Moog and will last just as long.
    carli makes one that is more stout but it also costs $$$

The bushing end can be rebuilt/replaced but the replacement bushing doesn't last very long.

hint enlarge the window to see the upload button.
    To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen
  7. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

I replaced my track bar bushings with Napa ones. They lasted 9 months. Have moog now, it's a huge improvement.
  8. onemanband

onemanband Member

Thank you Both for your help.
  9. onemanband

onemanband Member

Im going to be installing the track bar today.
  10. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

I have the BD TracBar and BD Steering box Brace. The brave is pretty straight forward to install. If I can figure out how to post pics from my phone I'll put one up
  11. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Keep the slip on the track bar, it's a life time warranty. You haven't said what year the dodge is. It makes a difference.
  12. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Has it been determined that DW is definitively caused by a worn track bar? Last I heard Chrysler didn't know what caused it (weren't even admitting there was a problem), neither did some of the gurus in the aftermarket industry. I had a 2004 1 ton dually that got it bad if you breathed on a pothole above 60mph. Did the front end at 120000 k miles sans track bar, it went away for the year I kept it after that.

I have a 2004 3500 SRW with 145000 miles, never had the DW. 2011 & 2012 2500's, no issues.

I had researched DW til the cows came home when I had the dually, nobody had an answer for it. Is there a tech article out now explaining the track bar being the culprit? Most guys just started swapping parts until it went away, but it usually came back within a couple months once the new parts wore in.
  13. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

The Death Wobble is a culmination of worn parts. Therefore sometimes replacing one part will stop it.
    If only one part is replaced on a High Mile truck, as soon as that part is worn again the wobble comes back.
    9 times out of 10 replacing the track bar will stop the Death Wobble.

The gear box brace is easy to put on. New nut on pitman arm - 4 sway bar bolts - 2 bearing bolts - lock collar on bearing.

I have two trucks that came with these and one without it. Can't tell any difference. Had one off to put the plow on. Drove it. Put it back on. Drove it. Same.
    If you have a worn steering gear box it may help that. Or Big fat Tires.
  14. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Part of the problem for the diagnosis of the DW was that it could happen to newer trucks just the same as old worn out ones. That doesn't explain a worn out track bar causing the problem. If it was redesigned, that makes sense.
  15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Just curious - Newer Trucks - How new? Miles?

I have not seen one do it with less than 80k

Another band aid is to put on a aftermarket duel steering stabilizer.
  16. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

The only truck I personally have had do it had about 120000 miles on it. My current 2004 has 145000 and has not done it once.

Other guys have had trucks with 10000 miles on them do it. I haven't been in the seat with them, that is just what they said.
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The possible culmination of worn parts are directly related to the axle oscillating independently of the frame.

The track bar is the only part that stops the axle from moving side to side.
    not the control arms not the steering linkage and not ball joints or the tires.

Even on a low millage truck go for a new track bar.
    if its not the track bar you didn't have death wobble,
    you have a shimmy.....;)

yes, but your steering box has no control or bearing on death wobble, yes it can cause a shimmy as the axle is not moving, just the wheels/hub

The interdweebb is full of DW antidotes, blaming on the tires to the steering box.

I think some just like saying Death wobbel.
    and use it as a catch phrase for everything front end related.

ps Dodge and every dodge tech has heard of death wobble.

I've had dodge tell me every thing is in in spec on a truck having a DW issue.:cry: techs.......:mechanic:

told them to put in one anyway.
    Dodge said no.
    we wont cover it under warranty as it is in spec....

I said, do it anyway and ill pay for it...
    They did,
    When I picked it up magically, they din't charge me.
    And lone behold no more DW.

i have a couple of worn track bars in the scrap pile.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

DW= replace the track bar..

Also check the front calipers for ease of movement within the sliders or pistonshanging up. This can often set off the wobble.