1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Death shake

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Thelawnscaper, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Thelawnscaper

Thelawnscaper Member

I've got a '03 2500 hemi, I was cruising down the highway and hit a minor bump and the front end started shaking violently. I took it in and the dealer said it was shocks, which didn't make sense to me but I took their word for it. Bad idea. Idiot mechanics were not only wrong, but I dished out 400 bucks for new shocks. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing that terrible shake in the front end?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

3. Thelawnscaper

Thelawnscaper Member

Yup, thats it, and it sucks. Now how do we fix it?

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well go to the first page on that link , and it will give you step by step on what to check

5. Thelawnscaper

Thelawnscaper Member

haha woops thanks

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Track bar! Lol shocks, U could dive it with all for shocks off the truck and It would not do that come on. And If u cant find anything ask me and I will give u some tips on how to ck it out.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  7. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

typically its the stabilizer bar. My old chevy had the one with a shock going across the the front alongside the axle.

My dodge did that recently, & it was a grabbing front brake caliper & worn out suspension arms up front

8. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Stock tire size and suspension ?

9. rickbays

rickbays Member

I had the same thing going on with my truck. Was the track bar.

10. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

99.99999% of the time it is worn track bar bushings that cause the Death wobble or the Super Duty Shuffle as I like to call it...

11. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

The problem with mine was bad ball joints.

12. capt_bob

capt_bob Junior Member

I had the death shake on a Grand Cherokee. Started half way from Rhode Island to Florida. Turned out to be the Steering dampner.

13. lake_effect

lake_effect Junior Member

I replaced the track bar and steering dampener both around 40000 miles on my 2nd gen.

Both were shot....been good ever since. At 145000+ miles now.

:gunsfiring: OEM junk...both common failures. Could be any suspension component though,and easy enough to determine yourself. Screw the stealership unless it's under warranty.

14. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

ok i know i dont post much on here but i do work for chrysler and get oen of the death wobblers in at least once to twice a week. useually it is the track bar, what happens is the axle will actually shift left to right nder the truck then cause you to correct and wheel to shake bla bla bla. it could be any combination of things. track bar, steering box, tie rod end (not nec lateral play but normally vertical tie rod end play) could be steering stabelizer (not as common but together with other things def will kill it) and one thing that we had WICKED issues with on the power wagons is tire pressure!! this will absolutly make it happen but just have the entire front end looked at and checked out. if your garage or tech said tey couldnt find anything let me know and well see where your located and what we can do for your.

15. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

duff,

You work for Chrysler and drive a Ford???

I don't want to start a Ford vs. Dodge debate- just an observation...

16. MaxPower1971

MaxPower1971 Member

Yup....Track bar....My 94 did that...but it dissappeared when I hook the plow on....Went thru ball joints..all FOUR of them...Tie-rods,steering damper,steering box.Last thing I did was the track bar...I got a nice one from Moog,and right off the bat it seemed more sturdy than the OEM POS.No mo Heavy duty shuffle for me!!

17. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

You bought the Dodge with out doing research Who's fault is that DAAAAAAAAAAAA...

18. brad96z28

U could just have new bushings pressed in for like 30 bucks. Track bars are not cheap.

19. MaxPower1971

MaxPower1971 Member

The Moog was 237$ CDN....I read somewhere that the Dodge OEM Track bar cannot be rebuilt....you did one of those before???Still got my old one:p

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  20. brad96z28

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008