1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dear John

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by hickslawns, Mar 28, 2011.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Anybody else get their "Dear John" letter from WM? We have on two of our stores so far. I really hope one of my local competitors took up USM at the prices they were offering. Not to sound like a vulture, but if they were dumb enough to sign on at those prices then they are just going to put themselves out of business. Life goes on. Hang in there fellas!

2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

62 views and not a reply? Wow. I hope you guys are receiving your phone calls from WM today. I have received two so far asking me to continue service. Apparently the USM/WM honeymoon was a short one. Hang in there fellas! This is going to be an interesting year! Sure glad I refused to sign on with USM and refused their "Non-compete clause". Life is good today!

3. rsweeper

rsweeper Member

So, is that just in your area, or all states that you have heard this about.

4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I don't know how that is going to work. i am getting phone calls to continue service and/or submit bids again directly to WM. That is all that matters to me. I wish I could be more helpful for some of you guys in other parts of the country. I guess I just wanted to post in efforts to encourage some of you guys that have had the unpleasant dealings with USM. Let USM fall! Hopefully some of the other corporations will take notice and follow suit. It is not just USM that is ruining the market, it is all the nationals. I honestly only have one that i will work for. Their numbers are not where they should be but we can still make a small profit working for them.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I think I'll swing into WM to chat with the manager again. Last time he and I spoke he said he couldn't do anything because USM had control. If that's changed I'd like to see if I can get my foot in the door. I have one sweeper I could dedicate just to their lot.

6. shooters480

shooters480 Member

Info I got was usm sweeping fired in 14 states. Info from World sweeper . com website. Sure wish they would include N.C.

7. rsweeper

rsweeper Member

As said before......Dont work for them and dont sign stupid contracts and USM will go away.
    Now the question.....If you signed there contract, they got fired, but you signed a non compete for 2 years, can you get your job back without breaking the contract??????? Sure glad we didnt sign it!!!

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

9. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I am already getting calls from other Maintenance companies. ugh

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

USM probably changed their name already :cry:

11. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

So does everyone think that WM will go through another maintenance company or just do it them self's?

12. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I would think the managers would want it in house. But then again, read your tag line:
    Hard saying. Month to month contracts is what we were told. Taking bids again. Maintenance companies makes me scratch my head. Are they awarding these out to maintenance companies again or are the maintenance companies simply swarming in like vultures hoping to pick over the carnage USM left behind?

Baffling part to me is how WM has saved money and made money by eliminating the middle man for years. Now they are putting a middle man in there? It just doesn't make sense. I would venture to say (strictly a guess on my part with nothing to back it up) I bet USM cost them more money than they saved. Just a guess. I know the slips and falls at our locals went up drastically in the first month of winter alone. I don't see slips and falls with sweeping contractors involved rising dramatically, but I know they had to with the snow guys last winter. Hopefully this will be noted in their meetings and they think long and hard before using another maintenance company.

13. clcms

clcms Junior Member
    from ky

I'm in central Ky and Usm took over March 20. Hickslawn how long was Usm in control before you got your phone call?

14. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

They took over snow at the start of last winter. Were supposed to start sweeping/lawn/landscape today. WM cut them off before they took over 100% in my area. Not sure about any other locations.

15. clcms

clcms Junior Member
    from ky

QUOTE=hickslawns;1275901]They took over snow at the start of last winter. Were supposed to start sweeping/lawn/landscape today. WM cut them off before they took over 100% in my area. Not sure about any other locations.[/QUOT.w.

What state are you in?

16. clcms

clcms Junior Member
    from ky

What state are you in?

17. clcms

clcms Junior Member
    from ky

goodbye usm

I just confirmed from a rep with Usm and Walmart mgr that as of May 30th there will be no contract between Walmart and Usm for ANY service.ussmileyflag That's some great news for all of us!

18. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Might vary from State to State, region to region, or even district to district. I received my last "Un-Dear John" phone call tonight. That manager was out on vacation last week and called me today to confirm we are to continue services. Tonight would have been our first night to miss service. Looks like we are not going to miss a day! Woohoo!

19. shooters480

shooters480 Member

Phillip

Anybody hearing of Wal Mart locations cutting the new poor service sweepers loose sooner than May 30. We got eight Wal Marts that would love to start tomorrow.

20. rsweeper

rsweeper Member

According to what we have been told, walmart has to use the contractors that are in place already here untill May 30th, then they can change. We were told to restart our old Walmarts as of June 1 because of this. Sure glad I didnt sign that non compete contract.