1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with the city

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chevskeezy85, Dec 21, 2009.

1. chevskeezy85

chevskeezy85 Junior Member

I have a local real estate company i do drives for, usually i save them till last due to the fact that they are vacant houses. I came upon one drive at the bottom of a circle that the city guys decided to put a massive pile in front of the drive. Im thinking that they thought since it had a for sale sign and no tracks in the snow, that it was not a big deal to do this. Do i send a bill to the city for cleaning up their mess? any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

snow.jpg

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Call the city and have them come and clean it up. If you call most cities will stop by and remove the berm. Since this is intentional on there part they should clean it up.

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Politly call the city and show them what someone did - tell them that you are hired to maintain the home for access and you don't believe this would have happened if the home were occupied. I'm willing to bet that someone goofed and will be reprimanded for that. If you get resistence from city supervisors, mention that you're calling the local fire chief.

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I wouldnt waste my breath. Just blast a hole through there and back blade some of it and it wont be long you will have the job finished.

5. chevskeezy85

chevskeezy85 Junior Member

yea i did it a few days ago, the city uses private companies to do the most residential neighborhoods. city said could be a few hours before anyone got there. so i just pulled it back into the street and left it in a big pile. I had been working for 20 hours by then and didnt feel like screwing with finding somewhere to put it other than there. they did it, they can deal with it.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Agreed. Did you drive there to plow it.....then took a pic and left?

That's a fresh ridge ~ it'll move. And it's not that big.

In the matter of a couple minutes you'de have a couple sweet piles at the end on that driveway.

7. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Senior Member

LOL if you were up here in Ontario you will be lucky if You dont get a bill for not having the sidewalk clear. I contract to the city up here and thats all part of doing snow.

8. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Not so everywhere. The side walks are snow storage areas here.:drinkup:

9. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

I got some plow jobs last year because the city did that, I should send the city a thank you letter...

10. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I plow for the city and sometimes on dead end cul-de-sacs its nearly impossible to plow into it with a municiple dump truck, and not leave a pile somewhere inconvienent. Sometimes I barely have room to turn around. I would never intentionally block a driveway, but I can understand why it could happen.

11. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

yeah send picture with the letter too .. :eek:

12. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

see me and powerwagon know how to do it, good call powerwagon. payup

13. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Thats really nothing. I had a town plow guy leave a pile in the middle of the access road/path to one of my clients. There are 3 more houses down this dirt road and he left this here. Then I came back later and there was a second one. I paid a loader to get me in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

I see piles like these all the time. I've gone through much worth with a snow blower. I have residentials that have 2.5 lanes plowed (curb to curb) into their sidewalk, and the piles are bigger than the ones shown here.

Trucks should be able to move those piles, especially if your getting there before they turn to ice.

15. Cfish

Cfish Junior Member

I work for the city here and we try not to leave piles at the end of the drives. If we are told we will generally help remove. Snow pushed back into road is a liability to who put it there. Frozen snow is a traffic hazard. Cfish

16. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Must be nice. Around here we have 24 hrs after a snow storm to have them cleared.

17. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Not enough $$$ around here to haul away all the snow so we will leave it in the middle of the main street if we have too.:drinkup:

Here's some pictures from Dec 2008. High Street Southampton ON. The arrows are there for reference.

1-High Street Dec 19, 2008.JPG 1-High Street Dec_08.JPG
    1.JPG

1-High Street Dec 19, 2008.JPG

1.JPG

1-High Street Dec_08.JPG

18. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

umm just call the city and tell them you were sitting in your living room and just watched some ass hole worker plow your drive way in and now you have to shovel all that by hand and it needs to get taken care of asap!