1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dealing with salt causing lawn damage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kodiakguy, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Ive searched and cant find much about dealing with lawn damage caused by salt. How do you guys deal with burnt grass caused by salt use? And does anyone know haw much salt it actually takes to kill the grass?

Thanks

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

is this at a commercial or residential site? At commercial we generally dont worry about it as much, but at residential its a bigger deal. We use ice melter only on resi and we use those turf friendly products. We will see how it works come spring time.

3. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

X2
    Yeah we do the same....
    Ice melt or brine on resi.
    Then what ever on commercial they generally dont care..
    We use brine,rock salt, and Action/ice melt

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/road_sidewalk/ice_melter_PG.html

4. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Their Condo accounts. We use a blend of calcium, magniesium and salt for de-icing. We have had 47 applications of product so far this year.

5. bristolturf

we also have a damage clause in our contract that reads something like this:

Contractor wont be held responsible for any damage to lawn, curbs, concrete, or other objects unless clearly marked with a marker or the item is larger that 36" tall. Contractor will also no be held responsible for any lawn damage associated with de-icing methods, unless wrong product used on pavement (i.e. rock salt used instead of a specially requested ice melter).

Basically continues on to say that if you want us to fix any damage such as lawn damage or something we will, at an additional cost agreed upon by both parties.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I have "heard" that an application of gypsum lime will neutralize the salt.

I don't know this as fact or have never tried it but thought it would be worth checking into.

7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

as far as dealing with the damage done, you are going to need to remove and replace some of the soil as the salt in the soil will prevent new growth as well,

8. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Use the right ice melters and burning turf won't be an issue. But the key is to make sure you apply it correctly. Any ice melt can screw up turf if grossly over applied. We only recommend one particular ice melt for turf concerns, although most guys that try it keep using it anyway.

:D

9. bristolturf

Yes proper application is very important too. On drives I only make one pass with the push spreader, right down the middle on a medium setting so the salt wont fly way past the drive line.

10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Your correct, it does work.

11. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

I also know that if you have a ton of walks, you might really consider a good drop spreader.